1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with NTFS and reformatting

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Xdreams, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Xdreams

Xdreams Member

I am about to format my 120 gig WD HDD and install windows XP home edition again. I was wondering how do I make it format in ntfs usually I just go to dos promt at start and type format c: But in the end I think xp converts to fat32. How do I get around this ?
    And how do I partition the drive to get 60 gig even ? I used to partion drive with the windows 98 startup disk is there a better program out there for partition and formatting in ntfs ?

Also is there a way to burn normal images and video files onto a dvd not in vob form? I just want to keep my celeb archives :) bit big for normally cd.

And last but not least once i have everything set up the way i liek it how do I burn a image of the hard drive to do a direct reinstall instead of having to reinstall windows and all the extras ?

2. Cman

Cman Member

The days of FDisk are gone.. :)

When you install your WD120, it should come with a setup disc. If its a boot disk, you can partition the drive whatever way you choose before you load the OS. If not, if you have Partition Magic, you can always resize the partition AFTER you get the OS loaded. I just installed a WD250 and used the program however the drive is for storage and not a system drive. Once you get XPHome setup, go to control panel, adminstrative tools, computer management, disc management and use the partitioning tools included with XP. As far as getting 60GB even good luck. If you want to do the math have at it but I would simply partition perhaps at 65G and see what the true partition size comes out being.

Not sure about the rest of your questions but there are plenty experts around these parts.. :)

3. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

The way I understand it..anything over 32gig paritition, ntfs in the automatic file system? Use PowerQuest Partition Magic to create partitions. My recommendation:
    c: drive - 15gig for OS
    d: drive - for media, ie, mp3, pix, movies
    e: drive - programs, zips, etc
    f: drive - drive image (for easy restore) PowerQuest Drive image is a goood progrom to create an image.

hope this helps

cheezzzz