1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with pc format

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Canibus2, Jan 11, 2007.

1. Canibus2

Canibus2 Member

I have windows XP on my PC and i want to format it and re-install the windows ( i have the windows xp cd ) . I dont want anything to be saved just a clean format and re-install the windows again.

Can please give me a simple step to step guide how to do this?

I know its easy but could someone help me out?

Thanks

2. rogeball

rogeball Regular member

1-Put windwos cd in the drive.
    2-Boot off the computer off the cd
    3-Go through the blue screen yadda b.s.
    4-when it says to pick a place to install format over the biggest partition thier, (should be the only if you have one HD)
    5- after formatting click install and tada your done, but make sure you have MB cd to reinstall all the drivers.

3. Canibus2

Canibus2 Member

thanks

what key do i press to boot through the cd when i restart?

if i dont have a partition and only 1 harddrive there will be 1 option to format right?

if i do not have the drivers for the MB are the easily available on the internet? and which are the most important ones? Is there a package anywhere?

4. rogeball

rogeball Regular member

go into bios and set your boot order to bot off the CD drive first. Then it will just boot to it automatically.
    1 partition one drive. and if you dont have the mb drivers you should be able to d/l them manualy, but beware LAn is something you have to d/l so you want be able to go on the ineternet on the nwely formatted. so use another computer to d/l the drivers to a usb jump drive or cd
    If its a dell you, ill warn getting drivers is going to suck behind belief

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

will also say "press any key to boot off cd" or else will come up with a non-boot disk error

6. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Also, if your drive only has one partition, when you get to the screen where it asks you where you want XP installed, there is an option to delete the partition. You want to delete the partition, then have the setup create a new partition, using all of the space that the deleted partition had.

You then have the setup program format the newly created partition NTFS.