1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with power supply to motherboard

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by richards5, Jan 17, 2008.

1. richards5

richards5 Member

Hi guys,
    I have just built a new pc but kept the same psu and tower unit so Ive decided to put all my old parts into a very old tower and psu in the hope of having another pc.
    My problem is that the psu in the very old tower only has a 20 pin power connector coming out of it and the motherboard requires a 20 pin and a seperate 4 pin connector.
    Is there anyway around buying a new psu? i.e, a connector that plugs into the psu or such like? It is only a basic system and would be used as a spare so dont want to spend too much time and money on it!

any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Pepp77

Pepp77 Regular member

From my understanding there is no way around this other than to buy a new PSU. But as you say its only going to be a basic system you could probably get away with a cheap £15/$25 dollar PSU.

3. omnicore

omnicore Member

check www.pricewatch.com they have parts listed by type and price, find a super cheap compatible power supply and get that one.

4. richards5

richards5 Member

Thanks for the reply. however, managed to get a 4-pin P4 cable to female 4-pin ATX power connector from maplin
    [​IMG]
    it did the trick and the computer is working fine.

might be of interest to a few people in the future! thanks for the suggestions though :)