1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with ps3 and blue ray movies

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by MrMexican, Jun 20, 2007.

1. MrMexican

MrMexican Guest

On the ps3 the system is set to 1080i and the games look really good. I have resistance,oblivion,and virtual fighter 5 but they are all on 720. But tekken 5 looks really good and i think its on 1080i resolution.

But my tv is a samsung 42inch 720p last time i check. and when i watch blue ray movies they don't look like the ones that they show at the store. they look a lot better. Does anyone think its the tv or the ps3 that is making my blue ray movies look worse

2. ooZEROoo

ooZEROoo Regular member

are u running 720p or 1080i because bluray is optimized for 1080 resolutions

3. MrMexican

MrMexican Guest

my tv is a 720 last time i check. When i put the automatic resolution it says 1080i. The games look great but the blue ray movies don't look like they should be, they almost look like a regular movie bi a little.

But what im asking does anyone know if i can check if all my settings are correct with these blue ray movies.

Thanks in advance

4. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

Yea something is up with that cause when I first got my PS3 it was set for 480i and 480p only and I was using the component cable not HDMI, the blue ray movies still even at 480p looked better than a regular DVD. Once I went into the PS3 menu and turned on the 1080i and used the HDMI port I was blown away by blue ray movies just like in best buy, especially 'Ultra Violet' the color schemes in that move and the hi def of blue ray really come together, I use that movie when I am showing off to my friends. I first show them the movie on a regular DVD with my up-converting DVD player then I pop in the blue ray on my PS3 and the fist thing people say when they see it is Holy $hit! I don't even have a 1080p TV so that should tell you that you got a setting wrong, or at least it seams to be, if not use the HDMI output for best quality. Hope this helps.

5. MrMexican

MrMexican Guest

thank you i will try some settings to see if they work. but is that since my tv is a 720 i would i know it is showing something in 1080i. that is really what im trying to figure out.

6. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

There may be a setting on the remote of the TV that will display the resolution, it might say something on the remote like “display” or it might be in a menu. Look in the user guide for the TV, if you don’t have one look for it on line. The other thing you could do is in the XMB on the PS3 disable everything other than 1080i and 1080p. If your TV shows nothing (blank screen) hold down the power button on the PS3 until the 480i menu appears and you can change your settings back to 720p, or how ever you like. You will then know that your TV cannot do 1080i or 1080p and what you are seeing when watching blue ray DVDs is 720p. In my opinion 720p is still way better than 480i or 480p :D