1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Purchase of DVD-VCR combo with TV Tuner

Discussion in 'DVD-VCR combos' started by shaytala, Sep 12, 2010.

1. shaytala

shaytala Member

Bear with me fellas...I'm 66 yr female so I just don't understand all the latest stuff.

I'm trying to find out what I need to look for to buy a combo dvd/vhs recorder with a TV Tuner.

I have two Go Video's, vhs/vhs and vhs/dvd. Also have just regular vhs by itself. I've always known how (as I moved many times) to hook up my vcr to tv so I could record and watch tv at the same time.

Since I've never known anythng else I bought what I thought was the same vhs/dvd recorder with a tv tuner. It says in the instructions you can record and it has "TV/DVD-Video on the control. I've never been able to figure it out. I called the company once for help and they told me it didn't have a TV tuner. That was about a year ago. It's a Sony RMT-V504A Video Dvd Combo. So all I've been able to do with it is either play a vhs or dvd or watch TV but not record anything.

I bought recently what I thought was the right one. I hooked it up tonight and I'm afraid it's the same thing. This one is a Toshiba DVR620KU. I realize that just like the one before it there's those three jacks red, white and yellow that I had coming out of the TV and into the vcr (whereas my other vcr/tv's have the cable coming in from the wall which I attach to the vcr and then the vcr has a little white cable connected to the tv (or vice versa).

Can someone tell me how to buy one with a tuner...meaning is that all I ask for? And or what's the story on these two that I have that don't have a tv tuner. What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance.

2. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

broadcast analog tv is going away everywhere.. if it hasn't where you live yet it very soon will.. so what you need is a digital tv box .. then your recorder goes in line between the receiver box and the tv.. so the signals are fed through it... that way you can watch what you are recording..

to record a different program from the one you are watching you will need 2 digital tv tuners. one feeding the tv directly, the other feeding the recorder... if your tv has 2 a/v channels you can set both chains up the same way and just switch between them.

hint.. don't buy 2 digital tuners of the same make/model (same make even) or the remotes will work both at the same time.. and that's a real headache.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2010