1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with ram

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by NAPALMA, Jan 21, 2007.

1. NAPALMA

NAPALMA Member

This might seem like a noobish question but is there such a thing as too much ram? Ive got an old computer, a hp pavilion 743c, and it starting to act its age. I can afford to buy a new one so I figure some more ram might keep it going until I can afford a new one. It has two slots, one empty and the other with a stick of 512 ddr pc2100. After doing some research, ive come up with 2 results. I can either have one gig of ram or two gigs. Id rather go with the 2 but I dont know if my comp can handle it and if it will damageit. Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

You can use this Crucial tool to show what memory your system can take.
    It will obvioulsy show only Crucial memory options, but that can be either followed or just used as the guide to obtain any same type memory of the available sizes your system will handle.

http://www.crucial.com/uk/systemscanner/

3. NAPALMA

NAPALMA Member

used something similar to this from http://www.memorygiant.com/ . Same thing though. Crucial tells me 1gb max, memory giant tells me 2gb max. Is there any way to tell max amount of ram and be 100% sure about it?

4. BigDK

BigDK Regular member

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

RAM (standard) 512/2100 DDR (1 x 512)
    Maximum 1 GB

6. NAPALMA

NAPALMA Member

Thanks for all your help! You guys are great. You wont believe how long ive tried to find that out. Thanks again!