1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

** HELP WITH RAR *** PLEASE

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by buttmunch, Jan 16, 2005.

1. buttmunch

buttmunch Member

Hi people Im a dummy I found some video on a newsserver but want to use winrar to bring it to life can anyone please give me a sequence or which file I need to click and which button,,, should I use the wizard??? please help.......... thanx in advance

2. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

just right click on the rar fileeither

rar00
    rar01
    rest.rar

and choose extract to that will start the extraction of whatever files have been archived it depends how it was rarred up as to which one you select

keep us informed

3. buttmunch

buttmunch Member

i THINK I HAVE IT FIGURED OUT THANKS .. BUT i HAD SOME CORUPT FILES SO IT WASNT WORKING VERY WELL... THANKS.......

4. lemaroc

lemaroc Guest

hey, i tried extracting my win rar files 81 in total which i got from bit torrent. When i tried extracting them to the destination folder they were way to big to fit on my computer, each one of the rar files 81 turned out to be 3.8 gigs

5. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

no, the combined archive is 3.8 gigs in size. you must not have enough space on you HD.

6. lemaroc

lemaroc Guest

trust me, from bit torrent i got about 81 rar files in one folder. Each of those rar files is about 47 mega bytes but when you extract just one the one file comes up to 3.8 gigs. I have no idea why it would be so big, its just a movie...can somebody help me figure out how to get these rar files to dvd please.

7. andmerr

andmerr Guest

@ buttmunch :

[bold] please refrain from posting your replies with the caps button on.This is a breach of the forum rules and is also considered bad manners [/bold]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2005
  8. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

trust me, you are mistaken. what you have is a 3.8 gig movie that was rar'ed and compressed, then split into 81 parts. the 81 rar files = one 3.8gig movie.

lol, if each one of the rars contained 3.8 gigs, the total file would be 308 gigs. 1/3 of a terrabyte for one movie! No, trust me on this. Not to mention the fact that it is impossible to compress 3.8 gigs down to 47 megs.

9. lemaroc

lemaroc Guest

Balaam, i'll tell you my exact steps: I downloaded the torrent "The Exorcist- The Beginning [Telecine DVD-R][NTSC][JDM-RL]" to a folder on my desktop. When it finished it gave me a folder with 81 Win rar archive files totalling 3.73GB. I right clicked part 1 anc clicked on "Extract files..." Then selected a destination folder. These are the exact files that are now a result of my extraction: "VIDEO_TS-8KB, VIDEO_TS.BUP-8kb, VTS_01_0-68KB, VTS_01_1.BUP-68KB, VTS_01_1.VOB-1,048,574KB, VTS_01_2.VOB-1,048,574KB, VTS_01_3.VOB 1,048,574KB, VTS_01_4.VOB-940,776KB." These are all the files i get just from extracting one of the 81 win rar archive files.

10. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

lol. this is so simple, but let me give you an analogy that might help you comprehend.

Imagine there is a really big room, like a gymnasium. on each of the 4 sides of the gym there are 5 doors, making for 20 doors total. now, the doors may be in different locations, but they all open up to the same room.

Its the same with rar files. by selecting and extracting one, you are extracting the entire archive. each of those 81 rar files opens up to the same files. It doesn't matter which rar you chose to extract from, since they all lead to the same place.

11. andmerr

andmerr Guest

it might be different if you went through each of the 81 files and un rar ed each but you didnt do that 81 times did you

12. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

lol, come on people - stop confusing the new guys

lemaroc, it is a spanned archive, meaning the file is spread out in each 40+ meg rar archive, so when you extract from the first one it will automatically extract its second and third parts from the other rar files, totalling one complete file, believe us - that is your DVD.

try burning if you don't believe me

13. lemaroc

lemaroc Guest

hey thanks alot, ye that was just a little weird but thanks for clearing that up:):):):)

14. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

Glad I Could Help

15. glynty

glynty Member

I know this seems daft but i'm confused as well and you all explain things great I also have a film in 2 rar files now I did as you said and extracted one from each they have extracted into 2 bin file and I can't open them nor does any of my progs open them for me to convert! sorry very new to this!

16. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

if theres a bin file there must also be a cue file also ......either mount the file with nero

or get a copy of alchohol 120 and do it with that using the wizard

17. -LoNeR-

-LoNeR- Active member

or virtual clone drive :D