1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with "rolling" video on dvd player ...

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by ckmic, Aug 29, 2004.

1. ckmic

ckmic Member

Hi I have been successfully been burning dvdr's with Nero for some time now. I am playing them on a Pioneer DV-353 (works well with vcd/svcd/mp3 and dvdr so far).

For some reason a coupe movies are giving me trouble (movies are Pi and Schindler's list) The *.vob files play perfectly on my computer(through s/w). However the burnt dvd scrolls on my TV when played through the dvd player like a vcr that has a tracking problem or the good old days when the rabbit ears had to be adjusted to stop the scrolling issue. When I try to use my PC dvd player I get the following error "Error Code 89020003 - The DVD disc might have been damaged so as to inhibit playback operation." With this being said the dvd will play sometimes in my PC error free? I am using Sony DVD-R (which have been quite good) Any ideas are appreciated.

C

2. starsky

starsky Guest

Well, so let me recap - when you play the vob's directly from your pc you audio/video are fine?

but after you have ifo'd the VOB's an burnt them your stand alone dvd player scrolls on the screen?

ok, when you picture scrolls on the screen it can mean that the video is unreferenced ie: is cannot genlock, in which case it is probable that you have a connectivity issue such as a loose or damaged scart cable. The green pin on the scart cableis used for genlocking, if you remove the green pin your picture will roll and you'll also see your vertical and horizontal blanking periods.

I have burnt many many VCD's and DVD's and have never found a problem with reference and genlock with a disk movie, its allways been conectivity.

You may also have a region/colour system issue, if you are trying to play a NTSC or SECAM dvd on a PAL TV then there will be no or very distorted colour, the picture may scroll or jump around the screen as it attempts to lock on to a reference signal.

The topic is extensive, you provide little information, therefore i could go on forever.

In short, check you connections, make sure you are using the correct colour system and region (advisable to make your backups region free) and if you still have a problem then copy it again with different software - dvd shrink is very good as is dvd decryptor.

enough respect

3. ckmic

ckmic Member

Hi, thanks for your feedback.

As for cables etc I checked and everything seems to be fine. Also I only have this issue with two dvds that I dl'd with bitorrent. All others work fine.

How do I determine which format these file are (ie NTSC or PAL)? The dvd player I am using is region free. As for the TV itself I am unsure - it is a Toshiba 61" projection TV - I am using component video to hook the dvd player up.

Not sure if this sheds more light?

4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like whoever did the original rip didn't do a very good job.

An example could be that the source disc was damaged and whoever ripped it enabled "ignore read errors" in Decrypter.

Were these downloaded in DVD format or were they AVI that you converted?

5. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Usually what you describe is a symptom of trying to display a PAL signal on an NTSC TV, although that usually also results in a black and white picture. The reason for the "rolling" is generally that an NTSC picture only has 480 lines, compared to 576 for PAL. As a result the bottom lines from the first frame become the top lines for the second, and every frame after that starts lower and lower, making it "roll". I'm a little suspicious of this being your problem because you didn't say it was in black and white, and since the color formats for PAL and NTSC are also different, there's no reason for a TV to have the circuitry to read the color information and not the resolution. That also wouldn't explain why your software player would have problems with it.

You can find out whether it's NTSC or PAL by loading one of the VOBs in VirtualDubMod and then selecting File Information from the File menu. That will tell you the framerate and resolution of the video. If it's 25fps and 720x576 resolution it's PAL.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
    DVD Rebuilder Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial_advanced.cfm[/small]

Last edited: Aug 30, 2004
  6. ckmic

ckmic Member

Thamls again for the feedback. The files were downloaded as vob bup and ifo in their respective VIDEO_TS folders.

Both of these movies (Pi and Schindlers are B&W movies however the splash screens etc although they are scrolling are not in B&W - I can see the color in the Universal Intro etc.

The TV I am using is the Toshibs tp61h60 which is NTSC Standard.

I tried to open a vob file in VirtualDubMod - vob wasn't an option for file type so I selected all types and loaded one - I got the following error:
    "No video frames found in mpeg file"

I viewed the vob files with power dvd and they are fine.

VirtualDubMod v 1.5.10

Is there another program I could try to find out if this is a PAL file?

7. ckmic

ckmic Member

Hi - found out these are PAL files using flaskMPEG.

Has anyone ever used this program in converting PAL to NTSC?

I have read some forums where you can use this to convert it to divx, avi etc and then convert it back at a different frame rate - supposedly it rips the ausio track at the same time sothat they stay together?

Any other good ways to convert PAL to NTSC?

8. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

9. ddd2224u

ddd2224u Member

heh.. i got this same exact problem. o yea, mine is also pal. i got the program and all, but it doesnt seem to work properly

10. ckmic

ckmic Member

I have been reading on the net and noticed that people had to hack their Pioneer 353s with their pda's to make it pal compatable - has anyone tried this method with any luck?