1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with sample rate conversion

Discussion in 'Audio' started by BigD25, Jan 10, 2003.

1. BigD25

BigD25 Member

Hi all, I'm new here and I have a problem I haven't seen discussed here before. I have some mp3 that I inadvertantly encoded as joint mono files that I would prefer to encode as regular mono files. I'm hoping that some utility can "simply" strip away the extra mono portion without me having to convert to .wav. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

2. 3pm

3pm Member

Hi, I have basically the same question as above. I see no one's answered yet, but I'll ask it as well. I have a few mp3 files recorded in either mono or at a sample rate other than 44.1 kz. Is there any way I can convert those values to what I want?

Thanks.

3. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

BigD,

What is "Joing Mono"?

3pm,

You need to decode -> resample -> encode, so th quality will suffer a lot.

4. BigD25

BigD25 Member

I must admit I'm not sure what "joint mono" means or how I came by the term. Perhaps its known as Dual Mono. All the research I have done yielded no answers. It's a LAME encoding process offered by my editing software, which offers the options of stereo, mono and this "dual mono." After encoding, the resulting file plays back on ONE channel of a TWO channel system instead of playing the same signal on BOTH channels using both WinAmp 3 and Windows Media Player 7. WinAmp actually displays the file as being a stereo signal while playing it back. And the Properties page displayed by MP3 Info lists it as a stereo file. The tests surrounding dual mono I've conducted gave the same results regardless of using a mono or stereo source before encoding. I solved my original problem by reediting the files and encoding them properly, so that is a mute point at this time; just thought I would throw this out there.

5. 3pm

3pm Member

cd-rw.org,

Thanks for your reply, but I fixed the problem--I think--before I saw your message. AudioGrabber wouldn't encode a couple of files that were recorded at different sample rates and a couple that were recored in mono. In all cases, it gave a message that I would have to use an "external" encoder, whatever that is. I ended up getting Razor Lame just to try it, and it worked. All are encoded now and snuggled up nicely on my MP3 library disk. There wasn't any noticeable change in quality, probably because the songs are old blues recordings from the 1920's. Another hurdle successfully cleared...

6. beech

beech Guest

everyone, im not pluging soundforge 5, but i deal in the music bizz and its the only reliable product that can change any bitrate, from single mono to duel mono. from single mono to stereo etc...on the pc

it does everything, plus you can download vst and various other plugins. this is the best. even better if you get version 6.

7. BigD25

BigD25 Member

Don't forget WaveLab too! But I was actually hoping to find a utility that left the file in a mp3 format and striped off the "extra" channel without converting the file to WAV or PCM format thereby removing the file another generation from the original as it gets re-encoded back to mp3 format. Thanks for the idea.