1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With Shrink And Nero Burning!

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by gaz_0001, Jan 22, 2004.

1. gaz_0001

gaz_0001 Regular member

I am copying Road Trip (5.5gb) using DVD Shrink and Nero. I have made it so that it fits on one disk and ripped it to the hard drive where i have 20 files or so.(vob, but ect). Then i go into nero and i do the DVD video option which brings up an autio and video folder. My problem is i do not know which files i need to put in the audio folder and which ones go in the video folder?? Another thing, my Asus reader takes about 3 minutes to read the disk in shrink and then about an hour to actually rip it. Is this rite?

2. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

hi gaz
    The audio tracks are already encoded in the vobs, so the AUDIO_TS folder is empty and all the files go into the VIDEO_TS folder (note the capital letters).

The reading and writing speeds are pretty similar to what they are on my machine, which is slighly faster than yours, so there's nothing to worry about. And if you use the deep analysis-mode in DVD Shrink (which you should, you get much better quality), it usually takes closer to two hours for the whole thing for me.

You might get (or might not) some improvement in reading speed by getting an ASPI driver update, see the end part of this thread for example
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/3/63712

hope this helps!

3. gaz_0001

gaz_0001 Regular member

Ahh, its all starting to make sense now. Thanks.

What does the Deep- Analysis do? i did not use it when i copied Road Trip (Around 88% Compression) and it turned out pretty shit(Well, not shit but not as good as i expected).

4. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

hi gaz, glad i could clear things up a little.

Here's an excellent thread on the deep analysis, with explanations from the creator of DVD Shrink, you'll find all you want to know about deep analysis here

http://forum.digital-digest.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=26603

If I were you I'd do the compression again with deep analysis on, then you can compare the results. With very moderate compression ratios the helpfulness of the deep analysis may not be that pronounced, but with "heavier" compression it is a must. I use it on all my rips.

Have fun!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2004
  5. gaz_0001

gaz_0001 Regular member

What sort of compression is ok on dvd shrink? Would you say if compression was say 80% then dont bother with the deep analysis, but any less then use it? What is the lowest compression with the deep analysis you would use?

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I'm a conservative on this one and use deep analysis if there is any compression at all.

7. askyew

askyew Regular member

I cant figure out why people are so impatient with deep analysis. In my book its the only way to go if there is any compression. Every movie I have burned using it has been perfect up to 65%compression(LOR). Take your time make a good back up, try reading while you wait. I think deep analysis allows it to look closer at the maximum compression ratios it uses at different places in the movie. jmho

8. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

As Nephilim and askyew said, I also go for the deep analysis every time I use DVD Shrink. I use the "shut down after finishing" option and put the original in when I go to bed. In the morning the movie is ready to be burnt, if the quality of the compression is satisfactory.

9. kahn7802

kahn7802 Guest

I was using the guide (my first time)and it says to use nero burning rom not nero express. I only know how to open the express. I cannot get it to nero burning rom. please help

10. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

You will need to download bruning rom. What guide are you using - ie: url

Also, Deep Analysis only really makes a difference if you are compressing a movie over 5-10%. If the compression rate is less than 5% its virtually pointless. Re-coding is always anoption for long movies, but takes a hell of a long time.

11. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

Are there any "good" freeware software to do this with? I got lots of time, but I do have a few movies where I would like to have all menus and extras and the movie on one disc, but then the compression ratio is too high for the movie. Would TMPGEnc be the right tool for this?

EDIT: Actually I found some guides to do this at doom9.org, I'm trying to use those, let's see what happens.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2004
  12. Ketale

Ketale Regular member

Last edited: Jan 25, 2004
  13. kahn7802

kahn7802 Guest

Thanks for replying to me so prompt. I downloaded it from the Nero site. Nero 6302, it was the package with the burning rom on it. I just cannot stop it from going to the express. Maybe I still did not get it or just do not know where it is. But I have looked all in the folder. I even uninstalled it deleted everything and then downloaded it again to make sure. The same out come. It works fine with DVD shrink, but if i try any other way....no luck. or maybe I just do not get it;o)
    Thanks for all your help again. If you can still help me, or guide me I would appreciate it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2004
  14. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Kahn,
    You should be able to access Burning ROM if you have Nero Express 6. From the Express 6 opening window, just click on the "Nero" torch/disc icon at the bottom of the screen, Burning ROM opens.

I also have Nero Express 2, which does not give me access to Burning ROM.

I wonder if doing a windows search for it would locate or at least confirm if its installed or not.

Frank

15. kahn7802

kahn7802 Guest

when I click it it just brings the page up before it loads and tells me to click the link to the nero site. Or if I click okay it just dissapears.

16. prjctsttc

prjctsttc Member

ive never used deep analysis and have not really seen drastic changes from the original to my backups... i sometimes compress up to 65 and they turn out fine... am i a bad person? but yeah i should stop being so lazy cus my computer rips extremely fast...

17. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Why not use DVD Shrink 3.14 and burn your encoded dvd rip with DVD Shrink 3.14? After all, DVD Shrink is free.

DVD Shrink 3.14,guide& analysis:
    http://www.mrbass.org/

Shoey :)