1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Smart ripper and alternative for stubborn dvd's

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by nerys, Feb 13, 2004.

1. nerys

nerys Member

Need some help with Smart Ripper. is their a newer than 2.41 version ? what alternatives are their. I use smart ripper almost exclusively but "sometimes" a dvd simply will not rip with it (and will not encode with dvdx my normal SR alternative.)

I use SR 2.41 DVD2AVI and TMPGEnc. if for whatever reason that combo does not work my backup is dvdx. usually this is enough but for example lin king 1.5 will not rip properly it rips but I get stutter replication in the VOB files (confirmed by playing the ripped vobs in power dvd) the original disc does not exhibit this.

dvdx fails as well (it fails on many discs but usually works when sr fails)

suggestions ? other methods of ripping as a backup when these methods fail ? (its not often but usually on a movie I really want :) Shanghai Noon and Knights were similarly pains in the ass :)

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Chris Taylor
    http://www.nerys.com/

2. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

DVD Decrypter has never failed Me yet asnd I have yet to find a fil I could not back up
    DaOsT

3. nerys

nerys Member

I will download it later tonight (connections really slow right now)

is it just like SR where it rips to the HD. do I then use my normal tools dvd2avi and tmpgenc on them ?

any other tools you guys prefer or like ?

Thanks !!

Chris Taylor

4. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

its basically the same as sr .yeah rip it to hard drive crunch it burn it job done move on~heh~....I dvd decrypter it dvd2one it then nero it job done

5. nerys

nerys Member

hey that dvdone is pretty neat sounding. no good for me though I do everything in mpeg1 format. mpg1 is universal to dvd vcd and all my portable video players. nice and compact too.

can also fit 4-5 movies on each disc that way too and still be totally viewable in dvd players on the TV.

I just wish I could use mpeg1 on dvd "as" dvd (IE with menu's and not as straight data) WITHOUT converting the damned audio to 48khz. it takes soo long to do that.

I want a program like dvd movie factory to let me use mpeg1 WITHOUT converting any part of it.

sure its not dvd spec but who cares. It will play just fine I am betting (dvd players are amazingly flexible on what they will play) they even play the off beat mpeg1 format my digital camcorder uses (records mpeg1 to pcmcia hard drives) it record normal video but with 22khz mono audio. works fine in every dvd player I have tried (vcd without reencoding)

Any ideas ?

Chris Taylor