1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with starting a modded wii.

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by omarg3826, Sep 21, 2007.

1. omarg3826

omarg3826 Member

Ok so i've got a wii that i bought in april. its already updated to 3.0 and i installed a wiikey mod chip. i believe that i did a good job installing the chip plus i have pretty good experience with soldering. so my wii works fine and plays original games perfectly. now i'm trying to burn boot discs, (i guess they're called?) i've got the raw dump and net 2.0 on windows XP. I also have a liteon 20x dvd burner that came with nero essentials. i've tried to burn the setup disc 1.2 the 1.2b and even the 1.9b but all of them are too large! Nero tells me that the file is too big to fit on a DVD +R. According to other threads, DVD +R should work fine. i'm using Sony DVD +R 8X and they also say verbatim on them. any suggestions? i'm about to reboot to install nero 7.10 so i hope that will help.

It seems like they're so many variables to modding a wii that lead to failure. I'm so close and i know the payoff is awesome.

thanks for the help in advance.

omar

2. neoweapon

neoweapon Member

if you have the 3.0 update, the 1.2 boot disc wont work.

3. omarg3826

omarg3826 Member

ok horray! i think i got it! so i burned 1.2b using nero but i was trying to make a data CD. that was the problem. i tried to "burn an image" and that worked! i put it in and a Gamecube screen came up. i ran it and it brought up the wii key menu. I really don't know what to do from here as this is all very new and mysterious to me. i'm guessing i'll make a back up like the other thread says and hope for the best. my regions thing is off and i don't know how to navigate the menu as i get stuck when it requests a back up disk which i don't have yet. so i just turn it off for now. I burned an image of the 1.9beta update but i got the black screen that says to eject and turn off, refer to manual.

Almost there! i can smell it! if i can do it anyone can!

omar

4. omarg3826

omarg3826 Member

arggghhhh!!! now i'm trying to back up super paper mario using the rawdump technique but its saying Error! you might have a faulty drive! i don't think that's possible cause its brand new. i'm not even joking. plus it just burned 1.2 successfully and that worked. maybe it can't read the wii discs? its not an LG model. its a liteon 20X. Model LH-20a1p186c. i hope it will work so i'll keep trying.

omar

5. NDarkness

NDarkness Regular member

If you want to rip original Wii games then you NEED that specific LG burner.

6. omarg3826

omarg3826 Member

7. Menion

Menion Regular member

has to be one of the 8164 models

8. omarg3826

omarg3826 Member

so where could i get one from? is ebay any good? i don't think that newegg.com has those models anymore. the part number displayed doesn't match and i'm reluctant to get it if i'm not sure its the right one.

9. omarg3826

omarg3826 Member

so i've downloaded RE4 and Scarface from a torrent and then extracted them. I've burn both using sony DVR +r using both nero and imageburn at 4X and both games get get cannot read errors. RE4 loads under the disc channel but as soon as i start it, i get an error message of cannot read on a black screen. any suggestions? i've got 1.9b installed but i'm stuck as i don't have a 8164 drive yet. any help would be greatly appreciated.

omar