1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP WITH TMPGENC

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by mframp, Feb 26, 2002.

1. mframp

mframp Member

Hi. I have recently purchased a new computer with a Pioneer DVD rewriter. I am now following your instructions to backup my dvds but after using dvd2avi i am unable to open the video file with tmpgenc. I am using version 1.76. I also have xp windows - is this the problem? Are there any alternatives to tmpgenc that are as good. PLease Help!!

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Look at the other guides -- you really don't need to encode the video in most cases. Rip it, if it's less than 4.36GB, just burn it. If it is slightly more, get rid of the unnecessary audio tracks and create new IFOs and burn it. If it is more than 6GB or so, get rid of the extras, create new IFOs and burn it. If the main movie is more than 4.36GB after you've stripped all unnecessary stuff, THEN you need to re-encode it using TMPGEnc, but it should be really the last resort.

3. mframp

mframp Member

THANKS. Just for clarification. I rip it with smartripper and then burn it with nero. should it then be ready to play on a standalone dvd player?

4. dRD

It depends, like I said. If your DVD (the _whole_ DVD) is less than 4.36GB, use DVD Decrypter's ISO creation mode to create an ISO image out of the DVD and just use Nero to burn that image -- the easiest way to do it, if you find DVDs that are less than 4.36GB in size.

5. mframp

mframp Member

Sorry now i am confused. My dvd is over 6gb. How do i get rid of the extras - do i rip it with smart ripper? How do i get rid of the audio? How do i create new ifos?

Sorry i am new!!!

6. dRD

7. mframp

mframp Member

OK. Please tell me though is there another program other than dvddcrypter that creates iso image files because it doesnt seem to work with xp - it says invalid aspi installation.

Please help!!

8. dRD

It works with XP, you just need to install ASPI. Look at out software archive (CD-R), you should be able to find Force ASPI and Adaptec ASPI packages from there.