1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with VHS to DVD

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by postie60, Mar 10, 2005.

1. postie60

postie60 Member

Hello,
    I am just getting into this area and know very little. I am looking for help with transferring my VHS homemovies to DVD. I have an ATI TV wonder usb 2.0 capture device, and have no problems with it. However, I understand that MPEG-2 is what is needed to write to DVD. The only options for MPEG capture is MPEG-1 or MPEG-4. When saving with MPEG-1, the authoring process with Nero vision express re-encodes the file and it takes seemingly forever. CAn someone give the proper steps I should be following. Thanks

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  3. postie60

postie60 Member

I tried to capture in MPEG-4, but the picture comes out with green horizontal lines throughout. When I capture using MPEG-1, it comes out very clear. Why does it take so long to convert to a DVD file?

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

A "DVD file" is mpeg-2. Converting takes time.
    I would use different capture software.

5. westbrom

westbrom Guest

buy a dvd recorder, and transfer it through ya video player, it just means you watching what you are copyin but saves the hassle..

boing boing baggies baggies

6. postie60

postie60 Member

I have an external capture device; ATI TV Wonder USB 2.0. CAn I use different software with it? Where can I find this software?

7. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member