1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help With Video Capture

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by proufo, Aug 6, 2003.

1. proufo

proufo Guest

Hello to all.

I need for work purposes, to transfer VHS tapes to V-CD format. The computer for creating the video files is a PII400 W2000 Server. Tapes are between 40 and 50 minutes long.

I had my mind set on a Provideo card that has both hardware V-CD encoding and a sound card. It seems this card is no longer available, so next choice is a WinTV 250, that has a TV tuner and MPEG 1/2 hardware encoding capabilities.

But this card has no sound capabilities so a separate sound card must be installed.

I'm concerned about CPU utilization, that may lead to synching defects in the resulting files. Synching is quite important for my work. No noticeable lack of synch should exists between the voice and the lips movement from beginning to end. I only need folded mono at 8-bits if that helps. It's for translation purposes.

Need to select an inexpensive sound card that would run with a low-powered (PII400) W2000 system (that also runs other light apps), and that will create adequate video files. It seems that when used in NT/2000 systems, some or all sound cards use a lot of CPU processing, even if they have hardware encoders.

Any help is welcome. I can't afford to make a wrong choice here. Also can't afford to upgrade anything else on the computer at this time.

Many, many thanks in advance.

2. my_frog

my_frog Member

Hauppauge WinTV-PVR-250 has sound input. $150, have had good results with this card.

Mark

3. proufo

proufo Guest

Thanks Mark.

Yes, after purchase, I noticed that it has a line input.

I'm somewhat puzzled about how all this works, in particular, who digitizes the line-in signal? The sound card? There's no internal nor external connection between the WinTV card and the sound card.

Another thing: can I extract, edit sound levels and EQ, and then remux the sound file from the mpg file created by the card and its software? With no risk of loss of sync and the such?

Many thanks in advance.