1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Viper GC

Discussion in 'Nintendo Gamecube - General discussion' started by SyCoVeNoM, Jan 19, 2005.

1. SyCoVeNoM

SyCoVeNoM Member

I was curious I just installed the mod chip quadruple checked my connections and plugged it up and followed the programming instructions on ps2owns. Thing is NONE of my computers (tried on over 3) will send the bios over. The Viper Loader Program Keeps saying Viper not found. The Game cube will boot normally also so that is still working.
    Any one else have this problem. And btw I set parallel port mode to ECP like the instructions said and set the dip switched to off on the parallel port hook up, and to connect it to the pc I plugged the viper straight into the parallel port. anyone think is a dead chip?

2. subbzero

subbzero Member

I am haveing the same problem, I just recieved my chip today installed it but i am unable to program it. i have modded many ps2 and xbox consoles so i am no amature, I think the chip may actually be defective. also i want to note that my gamecube is version C.
    all connections were tested with a multi meter so i know all connections are fine, any one else having this problem or has a solution for it?

3. ssjowowo

ssjowowo Member

check the wire connecting the programmer and the chip if it is properly atached (blue plastic faceing up) and try again. also check the 4 wires if they are properly soldered and no solder touches any other connecting points. also check if you have powered the console on before attempting to flash the bios ;)

4. subbzero

subbzero Member

I have checked all connections with a multimeter, and resoldered all the wires 3 times, everything was checked again and again. I have installed over 40 PS2 chips and over 250 xbox chips, I repair these consoles as well. so I don't think it has to do with my skills. any other sugestions? it was purchased from Divineo.com

5. SyCoVeNoM

SyCoVeNoM Member

1st thing I checked was for solder bridges before I powered it on the 1st time. I'm not a noob when it comes to soldering as I've done it over 10 years.

And subbzero mine also was from divineo maybe ours were from a bad batch seeing we got them the same day.
    I personally was disapointed in them sending it in only a envelope I expected some kind of packageing material or a lil box at least around it to protect it from damage for the price.

6. subbzero

subbzero Member

I have sent an email to Divineo about the problems we are experiencing, I have purchased from them before and never had a problem, just waiting to see what they have to say.

7. k4m1k4z3

k4m1k4z3 Member

Friend oif mine was saying that there may be a bit of a problem with the flashing and SP2.

Could cause it not to work :(

I just installed SP2 recently as well, Grrr

8. SyCoVeNoM

SyCoVeNoM Member

SP2 definately is not my problem I have 2000 and 98 installed on the pc's I tried it with and nothing so its not the OS (in my case).

9. subbzero

subbzero Member

same with me i tried with windows xp and 2000 machines and no go. i have checked with a multimeter that power is going to the viper chip but still can not flash, still get error saying that the viper chip can not be detected.

10. subbzero

subbzero Member

now i have removed the chip from my gamecube and installed it in another, same problem, now i know that it is a faulty chip.

11. SyCoVeNoM

SyCoVeNoM Member

hmmm I already came to that conclusion and asked for a RMA over 3 days ago and have yet to hear from them

12. subbzero

subbzero Member

i have installed the viper chip into a new game cube and tried to flash it, it did not work, then i tried another computer a new dell within 1 year old and i was shocked, it worked, i was able to flash the chip. it seems that you really have to try a few different computers. this onw that i used was runing windows xp. i connected the viper programmer directly to the parrallel port of the del pc and it worked. try a bunch of machines before you send it back.

good luck

13. Warbeast

Warbeast Guest

Most computers have the Parallel Port as default deactivated in the bios so check that first.

14. SyCoVeNoM

SyCoVeNoM Member

I set my parallel to ECP like the instructions on ps2ownz says to.
    and I was going to give it one final shot in 2 days cause i'm gonna go visit a old work collegue and they have about 2000 different pc's, and most are brand new, to try it on at the place :) one should work if the chip is not damaged

15. ryudo77

ryudo77 Guest

Have you had any luck with flashing it on different PCs? I just got the viper as well and having the same problem. I've done everything from resoldering to testing with multimeter. also tried with 2 PCs.

16. breeza

breeza Member

I have just got one of the new batch from mrmodchips with exactly the same issue.

Anybody out there in Hants, UK be willing to try and flash it for me?

17. SyCoVeNoM

SyCoVeNoM Member

I have now tried over 15 pc's and am giveing up this is rediculous.
    the pc's ranged from 10 weeks old to 6 years old. Laptops desktops and nothing works.
    All in all i think its the damned loader thats not working casue the vipers getting power and if i hit the tray close switch the game starts to spin so that shows the chips getting power seeing its fed through there.
    And after dealing with divineo i would never recommend anyone buy stuff from them its rediculous waiting over a week for a RMA. it took over a week to send it out in the 1st place even though they had guaranteed to ship in 24 hours on the item.

18. ryudo77

ryudo77 Guest

i've tried with 5 pcs so far, nothing worked. I've measured all connections from the solder points to the modchip and from modchip to programmer with a meter and it all checks out. I measured both the chip and the programmer and they both have 3.4v when everything is powered and hooked up. I've send an email to divineo hopefully they send me an rma soon. this weekend, i'll try it a few more pcs and see if it works...doesn't look well.

19. subbzero

subbzero Member

try also connecting the programmer directly to your pc parrallel port, and try other computers one will work. i was in your situation as well but finaly found a computer that worked.

20. ryudo77

ryudo77 Guest

I've always been connecting it straight to the parallel. Without the GC powered up, the parallel port was feeding it around 0.55V . I did noticed one thign though is that when i measured for continuity from the red solder point to the back, I get some value between 0 and 1. But they're pretty far apart and I don't see any solder in between that may have done that.

Subzero, when you tried with the PC that didn't work, did you connnect it straight to the parallel port as well?