1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with wifi and ds lite + r4 query... help please

Discussion in 'Nintendo DS' started by card1435, Dec 28, 2007.

1. card1435

card1435 Member

1. the r4 menu where you can determine how bright you want the screen - this is on the top left of the touch screen - what is the green r icon for on the top right? if i push the right top button this icon goes red - why and for what purpose is this for?

2. I would like to get my ds connected to the internet via my belkin54g router i got this thru the carphone warehouse.. ive tried doing this myself but just cant get the ds connected thru the router - can someone please help me with this - i really see no point in buying the ninetendo usb wifi thingy simply because i have a wireless network already - also i am runing windows xp.

thanks for your help.

2. tripplite

tripplite Guest

make sure you enter you wep, wap or and other bit code your router requires, you need a password basically to enter your router, unless you've set it to open

also make sure your router is set to signal out to both b and g, see if it supports both first!

installing r4
    http://portablevideogamer.com/2007/03/homebrew-how-to-r4-installation-for-the-nintendo-ds/

also braw check this
    http://www.r4ds.com/product-en.htm#a3

and this
    http://www.gba-nds.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=89&Itemid=25

best of luck, post back, we dont bite....for the most part
    -tripplite

3. card1435

card1435 Member

thanks for your input buddy - i appreciate this, ill try your suggestions sunday - ie 6th .

I will respond with eather positive or negative feedback, again thanks for your kind assistance.

4. tripplite

tripplite Guest

your answer

(i have heard of people screwing it up cause they hit it back and fourth constantly)
    i can expand for you if you need

i can't wait!!!

5. card1435

card1435 Member

i tried to get the wifi working but without any progress... im really at a loss for why it didnt happen. ive made sure the protocols where correct as you said, but it still doesnt work.. im quite confused about it all really....

Im kinda deflated at the moment - it should be easy to configure this, but for some reason it just is not happening.

Any ideas?

6. tripplite

tripplite Guest

card i need specifics, tell me in detail where you go wrong, im sure we can help!!!

7. card1435

card1435 Member

ok ill have to make a list of the things ive been doing - ill do this perhaps by the next weekend - or maybe wednesday - im trying to set this up at my fianc'es gaff .

I did try tho - putting the "." after each hex decimal value for the wep password - that didnt work, then i tried going from 128 bit to 64 bit and still no joy - i did this simply because the input area for the wep password on the ds did not have enough input squares to put all 18 or so values - but alas this logical thinking was to no avail eather... "shrugs"

I visited the nintendo site and my router was listed there, so why it didnt work i have no idea - im using the same router now to access the internet and obviously to send this message.

Ill keep you posted - i do have messenger if an online chat is a way forward? - its just an idea....

8. tripplite

tripplite Guest

card1435 WEP is case sensitive, make sure your typing in each number and letter word for word,

if possible disable your WEP key for a moment, try and see if your ds will connect through it then,

go to the computer were the router is installed on
    open your internet bowser
    and type 198.168.1.1 or 198.168.1.0
    you maybe prompted for a password
    now disable your wep
    try to connect to your router now

Is you router operating with 3rd party software on a computer?(if so uninstall)
    usually its just cable wire goes to modem, modem supplies innternet to
    router and router send out signal,
    http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc/en_na/ds/wrInitialSetupHelp.jsp

it maybe you have the wrong settings set up with your ds
    i suggest playing around with the settings on the connect page

this could also be your issue
    you need help via aim send me pm wid da aim name:)

9. MD80

MD80 Member

well im havin troubles too has answers there and im not sure the belkin router u mention is compatible ive got a netgear dg834v3 and i cant connct to that

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  10. silk42

silk42 Regular member

You can press the left shoulder button to cycle through the brightness settings.

11. snorlax22

snorlax22 Regular member

MD-80: The DS only does WEP. It will not do WPA. make sure you are set correctly.

12. tripplite

tripplite Guest

sry but ds does work with WPA
    http://forums.maxconsole.net/showthread.php?t=37637

sry although this function does work the download link is not something easy to find, and i cant provide you with it as it voids the contract with Nintendo...im such a prud aren't I

13. snorlax22

snorlax22 Regular member

Allow me to rephrase: The DS only does WEP, unless you are willing to hack it with an .02 release of software not updated since 2005 that has a strong possibility to brick it and isn't even available on the original site (http://geekboy.ca/iblog_archive/C749271838/E401408637/index.html) anymore.

14. silk42

silk42 Regular member

I think that should help clear up most of the confusion.

Maybe the next version of the DS will be able to support WPA natively.

15. snorlax22

snorlax22 Regular member

I think that's what the whole USB dongle thing was about.

If you connect your DS through a router then the DS has to stay up to date on router protocol which it hasn't or it can't comunicate. Right now, you have to run WEP which isn't secure instead of WPA or WPA2, for example.

If you use the WiFi dongle, however, then you can run the network on whatever the latest security is (WPA5000 or whatever) and the network is secure, but you have this access point (the dongle) which (at this point and as far as I know) is only good for the DS and hasn't been hacked to be an entry point for anything else (it's a pretty low power entry point anyway). In theory the dongle is a good idea.

A DS with native WPA2 would be cool. Not that I really care if anyone sees my little Pokemon flying by in wireless space, however.

Edit: I should clarify to say the dongle is a "good idea" from the standpoint of then you don't have to update the DS device and you get to sell a bunch of USB dongles. From the standpoint of putting out a proper and robust consumer product one could argue it sucks.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  16. tripplite

tripplite Guest

although there have been nasty rumors spread it's safe to say that the WPA will work, many people have messed up with this
    if your download link is reliable (if it's on a forum with positive feedback ) and you follow the directions you'll be fine

btw: it's safer to change your router to a wep encryption, your computers will support it, and your ds:) even psp supports wep
    yes wep is older so of course it's easier to break but don't be so paranoid you'll be fine

17. snorlax22

snorlax22 Regular member

This is very bad advice and shows a lack of understanding of the issues. WEP is in no way secure. It would take a wardriver with a can antenna, a laptop, and tools downloadable from the Net 5 minutes to crack your WEP network. The DS simply adds to the wireless packets flying around and makes the cracking easier. Don't think that MAC filtering devices will help either.

For a secure home network, WPA or WPA 2 is the better way to go.

As for "it's safe to say that the WPA will work, many people have messed up with this" you would have a lot more credibility (any at all actually) in saying that if you would post a link to a working download instead of taking the "I could tell you but I'd have to kill you" approach.

No offense. Just saying. I'll wait.

18. silk42

silk42 Regular member

If you're really paranoid, you can setup a 2nd wireless network at your house and use it just for your DS. Of course, you'd want your 2nd wireless on a separate subnet or VLAN so that it only has access to the Internet and not your other devices (computers, laptops, servers, etc...). It's probably overkill for most people, but at least if someone breaks the weak WEP protection on it, you don't have to worry about them getting access to your passwords, credit card info, or anything else while you surf the web from your computers.

19. snorlax22

snorlax22 Regular member

Or you could just leave your one network on WPA and use the USB dongle, which is sort of the idea behind it, I suspect.

20. silk42

silk42 Regular member

True. I haven't used the dongle before. If you go that route, can more than one DS use it? For example, if you have a few buddies over, can all of them connect using the dongle? I know an access point will work for this scenario, which is useful for me because I have 2 DS fats and 2 DS lites.