1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with wiikey mod...

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii / Wii U' started by s2kmwong, Sep 23, 2007.

1. s2kmwong

s2kmwong Member

so i soldered the wiikey and checked the points with a multimeter both on the wiikey itself and to the points on the wii chip, and it all checks out, but it won't load backup discs. it actually worked while the wii was open with wing island, but when i closed it back up it didn't work, and now after rechecking/resoldering the points it still won't load the backup disc, but loads original games fine.

i have a genuine wiikey, firmware 3.0, but havent done the setup disc yet b/c i wanted to try backup games first.

any suggestions???

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  2. NDarkness

NDarkness Regular member

Can you take pictures of it?

3. s2kmwong

s2kmwong Member

4. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

that's a pretty sloppy solder job. It looks like you could have bridged a couple of points especially with those larger holes that you seamed to have filled with solder. I would clean the whole thing up with solder wire or a desoldering gun and start over making sure not to bridge any points.

5. s2kmwong

s2kmwong Member

haha...well i took off the chip and left some solder on each contact point on the wii board... and cleaned it up a little...i didn't see any bridge points. to check for bridges with the multimeter, do i just touch the multimeter to each contact point (like point 3 and 4 together) and hope nothing beeps?

thanks

6. culius

culius Regular member

Hi,
    As i saw , look like you have a cold solder on all point , you may need some of flux put on before solder again . all point need to be shine at look , cut a little pieces wire run from the pad on board to pad on wiiKey . Good luck

7. Kafluke

Kafluke Active member

no, just visually look to see if you can see two points that have solder joining them. I would get some solder braid and clean the whole thing up and post a pic again without the chip installed. You also might want to try and use the wire method so as to ensure a clean job

8. s2kmwong

s2kmwong Member

reinstall

i put flux and a dab of solder on each point on the wii board and on the wiikey..then just connected each point together with a little more solder. i checked each point on the wiikey with the panasonic chip on the wii board with the multimeter and they all work. however, still won't load backups. im pretty sure the chip works, since it did briefly load backups unless i fried it somehow.

thanks for the feedback and suggestions so far...i'm not sure what i'm messing up...

9. Mark187

Mark187 Regular member

What type of blank media are you using?

10. s2kmwong

s2kmwong Member

maxell dvd-r, the backups def work on my friend's wii, and it worked briefly on mine until i closed my wii the first time...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2007
  11. culius

culius Regular member

hi,
    Try DVD+r see what happen?