1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

help with wireless routers

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by bigman75, Aug 22, 2012.

1. bigman75

bigman75 Regular member

Hope i put this in the right place hear goes.
    I have a Vodafone hg556a router in my house now to start with it was OK but with the kids getting older and all the want is laptops,iPhone,iPods,ps3 anything really that connects to the internet the router has started to play up i am always having to unplug it to get the internet working (pain in my right testicle).
    I am starting college soon i will be doing a computer system technician course so i am assuming i will need a decent router to help me with that and also i want a router that i can set up so that different devices in the house (IE kids) go off at a certain time on school nights if possible.
    I read that some routers don't have modems which i was not aware of so i really want to know is what would be the best one for me.
    Any suggestions would be gratefully appreciated.

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

how many devices connected wirelessly? check router documentation to see if number devices is more the router can handle. is that a "a", "b", "g" or "n" series router?

3. bigman75

bigman75 Regular member

dont know what series it is how would i find out and there would only be two or three wireless devices on at the same time

4. ddp

check the label on bottom of router & router documentation.

5. bigman75

bigman75 Regular member

it says version c

6. bigman75

bigman75 Regular member

sorry i looked around and found this about the router hope it helps.
    Specifications:
    Supports Windows 2000/XP/Vista/7, Mac OS OS 8-10.4.4 Tiger.
    One RJ-11 port for ADSL2 /ADSL line.
    Four auto-sensing RJ-45 ports for 10/100 Base-T Ethernet connections.
    One antenna for wireless connection.
    NAT, NAPT, extended ALG, DHCP server/client, DNS relay, IGMP proxy and port mapping.
    Wireless network security, stateful packet inspection, Access control list, IP/MAC filtering, PAP/CHAP.
    Support remote/local upgrade through HTTP and TFTP
    It is a series of home gateway designed for family and SOHO users. It provides high-speed ADSL2 and ADSL2 interfaces for external broadband WAN access. It also provides WLAN, and Ethernet interfaces for internal connection with different family service terminals such as PC, STB, IAD and EPHONE.
    HG556A has powerful routing and bridging functions such as flexible network configuration. It supports the advanced NAT/Firewall technique, UPnP and the QoS strategy. With other network equipment, it provides end-to-end quality assurance. It extends the high-speed and high-quality broadband services to service terminals inside families. HG556A also supports data communications and entertainment services.

7. ddp

still doesn't tell me what version it is except that it is a combo unit that is both modem & router.