1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help would be nice :)

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Kramerguy, Dec 26, 2004.

1. Kramerguy

Kramerguy Member

Well Im on my way out the door to buy a NEC 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drive, Silver, Model ND-3500A... and I am wondering which kind of Media to buy. DVD-R? + R? Im really not sure what I need. And Im not sure what I am talking about, lol. I have looked around the site although I would like to know what would be the right black disc to buy for my drive that i am getting. ALso another question, Whats with the double layer thing? If i buy double layer media can i fit more than 4.36gb onto the disc? Thanks alot and help would eb appreciated.

2. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

Can I ask you something? I'm not trying to be a smartass to you, but if you don't know what dual-layer is, why are you rushing out to buy a burner and some media? Just my opinion but I would definitely research it a little more before you drop that kind of dough on a new drive. They are not the cheapest things in the world, nor is the DL media for them. Unless you catch it on sale, most DL media I have seen runs about $30(US) for a 3-pk. Not cheap, not something I would want to make a pop-can coaster out of.

To answer some of your queries, as of right now, as far as I have heard the DL media only comes in the +R variety. There aren't any rewritable ones that I have seen yet. (Which is why it's so hard to swallow if you do happen to get a coaster out of them.) I would go with Ritek(Ridata) media, I hear pretty good things from the peeps here at AD. Stay away from Memorex.

Dual Layer, in layman's terms basically means that there is a extra layer (so to speak) on the disc to record data to. Typically the storage capacity on a DL disc is about 8.5gigs. Your average single layer media, on the other hand only holds about 4.7g (actually a little less for both SL and DL, quirk of how it's measured.... the 4.7g is rounded in decimal numbers, which is what the industry uses to "boost" the capacity. False advertising if you ask me because the TRUE disc space is measured in binary and comes out to about 4.3g of true space on a SL disc) So yes, a DL disc holds more than a SL disc, about double the capacity. Hope this helps. :)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2004
  3. Kramerguy

Kramerguy Member

Well, as you can see in my post my hunch/proir knowledge about what dual layer is turned out to be right. I just wanted to make sure. And sheesh those discs are expensive! Thanks for the help Weirdo007 XD.

4. swervin

swervin Regular member

I doubt you will find a place local to you to buy Ritek media at. I order them online. If you have a Wal-Mart close by, I highly recommend Maxell media in DVD-R. The ones to look for are the yellow tops in the 15 pack. They are on sale right now for $9.97. The Maxell disks I've been buying are made by Taiyo Yuden or Hitachi Maxell. These two makers are at the top of the 1st class media list.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

On another note, I also have a NEC 3500A drive. So far I've only burned -R stuff in it but I'm quite sure it will burn +R also. This drive is working flawlessly for me.

Good luck with everything.

Mike

5. Kramerguy

Kramerguy Member

Good to know that the burner I am purchasing is a good choice. I could not find the 3500A in local stores so ill have to purchase it from newegg. Ill look online for Maxell and Ritek.

Thanks alot for the help guys and Happy Holidays!

6. Weirdo007

Weirdo007 Regular member

No problem, glad to help ya! (^^ A footnote, I think Radioshack carries Ritek media. I was looking at Ritek's site and it gave Radioshack as one of the "where to buy" options if I remember right. Taiyo Yuden's are very VERY good as well. I personally have been using FujiFilm -RW single layer discs, (Mitsubishi Chem Corp formula) and so far have had no coasters. :) Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!