1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help Wth uTorrent Connections when iv'e done everything i know!

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by PocketQs, Jan 7, 2007.

1. PocketQs

PocketQs Member

i recently moved and built a new computer in the process. I'm using my new computer to connect to the internet. Specs: AMD Athalon X2 4400+ 2.20 Ghz and 2Gigs of Ram. At my old address, i had a the minimal verizon connection, not sure what it was, but I was gett 350kB/s downloads and uploading at about 80kB/s using utorrent. I now have the 1792 down and 448 up connection and can only get about 180 kB/s down and about 40kB/s up using utorrent 1.6. Shouldn't I be getting like crazier speeds than that?! I have forwarded my ports and opened morer half open connections, but everything i tried i can only get about 180 kB/s down. What am I doing wrong? I was getting 3 times the download with a slower connection at my old place. Please help!!

2. tam2oo5

tam2oo5 Guest

That looks like a 2meg connection mate. 180kbs not bad i think for a 2mb connection. Looks like you previously had a 4mb connection at your old house, that possibly why you notice the diff

3. PocketQs

PocketQs Member

unless i'm getting kilobites per sec instead of kilobits.......my old connection was 768 kB/s this is like 3 times faster trust me, i dunno, maybe I am getting max, but i swear i was stuff alot qicker with my old connection and I know it was minimal cause I was paying 19.95....now i'm paying 30 a month for this connection so i can't explain it

4. tam2oo5

tam2oo5 Guest

Sounds weird mate, im on a 2mb connection and i can hit max 230kb/s. Dunno how you could hit almost 400kbps on like a 1mb connection lol, why dont you run a speed test, goto google and type speed test. Post your results buddy

5. Xithon

Xithon Member

I have this problem too, I have a feeling it's something to do with the location.

Our household has an Orange Livebox which is on a 8MB line, yet we only get around 150kb/s tops... it's terrible really because we're paying for bandwidth that we can't even access.

Although in fairness, I think we get that sort of speed per PC connected to the box, and we used to have 3 PC's hooked up (1 wired, 2 wireless) and the bandwidth each of us could get didn't seem to be affected, a steady 150kb/s max each.

I don't know mate, I used to have horrible uTorrent download speeds, I'm talking 50kb/s and less, until I realised about the port forwarding. I'm relatively happy with 100kb/s which is what I usually get, although every now and again it'll pop up over 120 which is quite nice (usually when I've got no other programs running).

Have you tried using one of them websites which tests your connection for up and download speeds? Sorry I can't think of any off the top of my head, but maybe if you have a peek, you could check if it's your line or just uTorrent playing up?

You say it's a new PC you built, perhaps it could be that, I don't know. I can't say my knowledge of the internet or how the speeds work extends very far I'm afraid. I still don't understand what's up with the kilobytes and kilobits, I mean download speeds are in kilobits and... oh it's crazy.

Good luck with your uTorrent.