1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP XBOX 360 freezing

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by ohhshiet, Jan 31, 2007.

1. ohhshiet

ohhshiet Member

i've been playing the xbox 360 and no freezing. until i played nba 2k7 and experienced some freezing but not too much. also i beat gears of war perfectly no freezing. but online with gears of war freezes every 20-30 minutes? what could have gone wrong? any ideas. i thought it was my media but i am using Verbatims dvd+r DL and burning at 2x, so i burned a copy at 1x and still i am getting some freezing. it is only onlin e though and most games are fine and i dont see any freezing. although gears of war is the only game i pretty much play and for a long period of time. hence, i only notice freezing on gears of war because i play it online all the time. no red lights just freezes and when i reset and power on its fine until 30 minutes later, another freeze up. anyhelp?

2. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

You're going the wrong way. Burn at 4x.

I came from the old ps2 camp where burning slower was always better. So when I started doing 360 backups I was burning at 2.4x. It took me awhile to try burning faster but it really is better. I've seen it's benefits first hand.

I was getting some freezing on Saints Row and burning faster cleared it up.

I also modded a fresh, out of the box, 360 for a friend and he was getting the open tray error with some games from the start. We tried a bunch of different method but long story short, burning faster fixed everything for him.

And make sure you're using decent media.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  3. ohhshiet

ohhshiet Member

im always using verbatim. also i use the imgburn way. which is better the clonecd or imgburn way? i have the sammy drive.

4. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

I've been screaming this in every thread I see that people ask what speed to burn on for like months now. Finally someone else who agrees with me.

bhetrick, I came from the old ps2 camp as well. When I first heard of people doing to the 360 what to me what basically swap magic backups without swap magic I noticed people said burn at 2.4x.
    Well..In the ps2 camp, people always said burn at 4x and I burned every game I ever did for ps2 on Sony DVD+R at 8x and never had one problem so I took that and ran with it on 360 games.
    I flashed my 360, bought some Verbatim's and used the same burner I burned over 300 ps2 games on and burned me some 360 games at 4x. And they worked perfectly. My friend burned his at 2.4x and when he came over like a week later, his games wouldn't work in my 360 (Hitachi 59DJ or my son's Samsung) Kept getting open tray with the sammy and dirty disk with the Hitachi. Told him to burn at 4x and every problem he had went away as well..

Anyway, sorry for the long winded pat on the back but if people would all burn at 4x, we wouldn't have 100 threads about it every month.

5. navsav

navsav Regular member

Anyone have an idea as to why buring at faster sppeds would be better- you would think it would be the opposite.

6. ohhshiet

ohhshiet Member

clonecd or imgburn?? just askin i use imgburn any preference?

7. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Both burn just fine. Imgburn is free and Clone CD isn't.

You'ld think so but burning faster really is better. Plus burning only takes ~20 minutes compared to ~40.

Make sure your burners firmware is updated.

Your screaming hasn't fallen on deaf ears. It was one of your posts I read which convinced me to try burning faster. I didn't see any difference at first and still had the mindset of "slowers probally better".

It was when I modded a 360 and got the OTE that I realized faster is better. I'd tried the spacer trick and was going to try adjusting the pot next (done this to many ps2 lasers) when I happened to put in R6:V and it fired right up. This was the first game I had burnt at 4x.

So I took my 2.4x backups of COD3, SR, & DR and reburnt them at 4x. All worked perfectly when tested in his machine. I've since chucked all my slow burns and have reburnt at 4x.

My first ps2 games I was burning at 1x. It was like the end of '02 when I picked up a Sony DRU 500a from Best Buy for $350. Back then I think 4x might have been the fastest a dvd could be burnt. In fact, I had to later update the 500's firmware to burn at 4x.

I still have the 500a in one of my other pc's. It still burns great. It's just slow by todays standards.