1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by eric_0012, Apr 27, 2005.

1. eric_0012

eric_0012 Member

Just tried to back up Open Range and got a error message saying "protection error"
    Can anyone tell me what is wrong or what I did wrong??

2. crozzman

crozzman Regular member

You need to give more information, that's the first problem. Try telling us what programs you are using to back up your movie. Are you using DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, ,Nero, AnyDVD, etc.
    I'm going to assume you tried it with only DVD Shrink and recommend you rip it through DVD Decrypter first, then compress it in DVD Shrink and then burn it with either DVD Decrypter or Nero. If you didn't try that, there is where your problem lies.

3. eric_0012

eric_0012 Member

Sorry for not giving more info, I tried it again and it has worked fine.
    The way I am doing it is using DVD Shrink, it analyzes the movie then on it own starts to encode it. BTW when I first open the movie and select what to keep the main movie is at a compression rate of hig 60's low 70's. anyways after DVD Shrink encodes the movie and finishes Decrypter opens on it's own and then I just put a blank in and use that to burn it. I've done 2 movies that way and looked at one and it looks great! Is this mwthodOK or should I be doing it a different way. If you feel I should be doing it a better way as you suggested can you please tell me if there is a tutorial showing how to do it your way. I also have Nero6 but haven't used it to burn these movies..

4. crozzman

crozzman Regular member

No, you're doing it the right way...for most movies. Newer movies have protections on them that DVD Shrink can't crack on it's own. For these movies, you'll need a better ripper. I suggest DVD Decrypter. It's free and it's not let me down yet. A lot of people will suggest AnyDVD. Not free, but an excellent program. You can get a 21-day trial period and after that, I believe it's $40. I would suggest that you start ripping your movies with DVD Decrypter and then go through your normal process. You're going to come across a movie that DVD Shrink can't rip; which is why you started this thread. As for Nero, I personally never cared for it, but it works great for a lot of people. As for instructions, you should check out these great links. They have some excellent guides to show you the way. If you run into any problems, just check back. Make sure you let us know how you did regardless though. It helps people out with the feedback.

http://www.dvdplusvideo.com/tutorial007.html
    http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  5. eric_0012

eric_0012 Member

Just a update on my success so far, The first 2 movies I backed up I did the "full Disc" method because I didn't realize there was any other way. Now after reading some of the great guides I have found that using the re-author method works better for me because all I am intersted in is the movienot any extras. I found that doing it this way my compressions rates have gone from the low 70's to the high 80's. I'm still using DVD SHrink to open the movie,it does it's thing and I have the setting so that it burns with Decrypter. I have 2 DVD burners so it works well for me to read with one and then burn right away with the other, after 4 movies backed up successfully. I am planning to learn how to rip with Decrypter in case I start ti run into problems.
    Can someone direct me to a tutorial that shows how to rip with Decrypter then use DVD Shrink to re-author and then burn with Decrypter, or does Decrypter do all of it also, my goal for today is to learn Decrypter fully.

I have to give props to this newsgroup, I have never met a group of people who are so willing to help and are so knowledgeable about the subject, and the guides are GREAT!!!!!

Thanks to all of you

6. crozzman

crozzman Regular member

Ask and you shall receive.

Follow all instructions in the links I sent you for backing up a DVD. When you open DVD Shrink and click on open files, you'll bring your Video files over. Click on the button at the top that says "Reauthor". All the files will come up on the right hand side of the screen. Drag the "main movie" over to the left and click backup. Make sure the "burn ISO image with DVD Decrypter" is your choice and you should be good to go. All other settings remain the same. The only thing you have to change is the Reauthor portion.
    Or simply follow this link. Provides excellent instructions with pictures to boot. I hope this helps.

http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/reccomended.html

Last edited: Apr 28, 2005
  7. eric_0012

eric_0012 Member

Great link except you can't print the pages to read off the computer, the text is white and part of the image so when you print all you get are the pictures. Wish there was a version with black text

8. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member