1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help!!!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by Jaimz23, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Jaimz23

Jaimz23 Member

Trying to make this as short as possible and I hope this is in the right place because it's broad, but I hope someone can help me.

A while back I removed my ide channels ide controller and 2 burning drives because I was having a problem (can't remeber now what it was) by removing I mean deleting them so when I restarted my computer hopefully the problem would be fixed. I found this on a thread somewhere and it worked for somebody else. Well it didn't for me. Every time I restart my computer the found new hardware wizard pops up saying that all of the things that I just mentioned are new and need to be installed (one at a time they pop up one after another.) Well it never installs them it says software couldn't be found for all of them. My dvd drive is new and I have the disc that came with it still and have tried using that when it pops up and it still says that it can't find it. (I have a dell dimension 8250) All of the drives seem to be working o.k. though I don't have any problems burning cds or dvds, but why is this happening?

Last I am trying to put music on my mother's mp3 player and cannot. I plug into the usb port and look under "my computer" and see no removable disk or storage pop up in there. The computer tried to use the found new hardware wizard to install a driver for it and obviously that didn't work. I looked in the device manager and found it. it said mp3 player but had a yellow ! and a yellow ? next to it this is basically just a memory stick so why is my computer trying to install a driver and not have it pop up in removable media under " my computer"?

Sorry so long but I hope someone can help. Thanks

2. Jaimz23

Jaimz23 Member

Anyone have any ideas?

3. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

What burners do you have. Unless you custom build your Dell, they put cheap burners in their machines.

4. dvdsndict

dvdsndict Regular member

That's not always true. I purchased a Dell tower about 4 years ago and I'm still using the CD/R-RW that came with it, it works fantastic. I actually used it to replace the one I purchased for my custom 1 year ago.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2007
  5. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

It has been true for most of the cheaper Dells that I have seen folks having problems with.

Uninstalling the Secondary Ide Channel, through Device Manager, is an excellent way to get Windows to recognize the optical drives again, especially if the user has Windows XP, has had burning problems (errors), and XP has kicked that optical into PIO mode.

Uninstalling The Secondary Ide Channel, and rebooting, forces XP to recognize the opticals again, and if there is nothing wrong with them, they will be back at Ultra DMA Mode 2 or 4 again, if they are newer DVD burners. It is a prescribed method of getting them back, and it is good, not bad.

6. Jaimz23

Jaimz23 Member

I have a samsung Sh-S182D dvd burner which i installed myself about 6 mos. ago and an NEC CD-Rw NR-9100A that came with the computer. both drives work well. I just can't get the system to know that the drives don't need to be reinstalled everytime I restart (along with my ide channels and controller) the new drive I still have the disc that came with it and the found new hardware wizard says it cannot find the software even when I have the disc in. So that is my problem.

7. Jaimz23

Jaimz23 Member

someone must know what to do??????

8. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

If you have recently installed or uninstalled any burning software, that problem can happen.

It is a Windows thing, losing drives when installing/un-installing burning software.

If the drives are still listed in the Device Manager, delete them then carefully follow this fix:

"Upper/Lower Filters:

a. Click on Start --> Run --> and type in 'regedit' followed by the enter key
    b. Expand the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE" key (looks like a folder) by double clicking it (or clicking the "+" next to it.)
    c. Expand the "SYSTEM" Key
    d. Expand the "CurrentControlSet" Key
    e. Expand the "Control" Key
    f. Expand the "Class" Key
    g. Look for a key containing the following string of letter and numbers:
    {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    h. Highlight this key by left clicking once on it
    i. On the right hand side you are looking for "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" under the "Name" column, once you find these delete them by right clicking on them and choosing "delete"
    j. Exit the registry by clicking on the "X" in the top right hand corner of the screen

Reboot your computer"