1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

here comes trouble

Discussion in 'PS2' started by haxxej, Jul 14, 2003.

1. haxxej

haxxej Member

i was surfing d net and came across this bit of news..

It appears some of $ony's BIG developers have now focused anti-piracy efforts on both USB and Memory Card dongle protection for titles scheduled to be released as early as Fall 2003. This means PPF's will likely be necessary to 'crack' the affected games prior to doing 1:1 back-ups, as EVERY chip owner and swapper will be unable to play these back-ups without any ISO modification. Simply put- Every time the disc reads, the dongle will be checked... and the bytes to patch will likely differ with each game/developer.

what do u guys and gals think about it?>

2. c7015

c7015 Regular member

I dont like the sound of that

do you have a link as to where you found that

3. haxxej

haxxej Member

4. c7015

c7015 Regular member

as long as it only from the rumor mill but I would still be worried

it seemed as though it was focused on steps before you do a straight copy similar to xbox and how you cant just straight copy a game

however the part about the usb/dongle are they talking about everyone would need that to play anygame modchip or not

5. haxxej

haxxej Member

from what i did understand is that it will work like the fade protection

6. Xian

Xian Regular member

This was to be expected. It's a constant game of one up between the modchip makers and the software companies. One day you can make a backup of everything out there, the next day a new copy protection comes along that prevents you from making a backup of the latest and greatest. Then the next day the other side is back on top.

When the first modchips for the original PS1 came out you could backup anything. Soon the software companies started checking for the presence of a modchip. Then came the stealth modchips that intercepted the modchip check call. On my old Atari 800 in 1984 they were using on-disk copy protection, bad sectors, unformatted blocks, and other methods. An addon "Happy" chip was released for the disk drive. It would copy everything, but soon there was new copy protection methods that would stump it.

The point I am trying to make is that there will always be something new on the horizon. Things don't stand still in the industry. What works today may not tomorrow. You either upgrade to the latest method of bypassing the copy protection or try to keep Jr from playing frisbee with your originals.

7. haxxej

haxxej Member

i agree totally with u...
    the good thing is that there will always be ppl in the know that will break every copy protection developers make :)

8. c7015

c7015 Regular member

and the bad thing is that we have to shell out cash for it ..lol