1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

here's a new one

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by mrcamo, Jan 11, 2007.

1. mrcamo

mrcamo Guest

has this happen to anyone who backs up thier dvds with a laptop or is it just me ?

i use my laptop to back up my dvds with these programs (ripit4me,dvd decrypter,dvd shrink 3.2 & imgburn) all work great,but heres the problem,i can't update my firmware anymore because one of these programs put added a virtual dvd drive on my laptop so now i can't update the firmware for my sony dvd+-rw dw-q58a.

heres the what i get when i try

error
    no matched drive detected !
    this utility is only for sony dvd rw dw-q58a drive

detected drives
    1-0-0-0 d:sony dvd+-rw dw-q58a uds2
    2-0-0-0 e:generic dvd-rom 1.0

when i click the ok button nothing happens

is there someone out here in ad land that can help me with this ?

2. JVC

JVC Active member

It must be ripit4me that put the virtual drive on there. I have used all the other programs you mentioned, and they don't do that. I've never used ripit4me, so I'm really taking it for granted, that it's the culprit, since I know for a fact, it's not the other ones.

Delete ripit4me, do your firmware upgrade, if you can, and then reinstall ripit4me, if you want.
    Good luck!

3. larrylje

larrylje Active member

Actually this happened in another thread yesterday. But it was with a Lite-On burner that was rebaged for HP computer. So when they tried to use the Lite-On firmware update for that drive they got the same error as you (but with the Lite-On drive information of course.

So the only way they could upgrade to the new Lite-On firmware was to download a patched version that would let them overwrite the rebadged (Lite-On) HP drive firmware to the new firmware out for the LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-832S drive.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2007
  4. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Your ID string on the drive now appears as Sony DW-Q58A UDS2. The firmware will not work until the ID string reverts back to the version without the UDS2. That ID string is part of the firmware. I have no idea how it changed. The burning software is not likely to do it. Try to rename it in Device Control just to see if you can eliminate the UDS2 and try again. You might have to uninstall the drive and reinstall it to see if that works, too.

5. mrcamo

mrcamo Guest

thanks guys

my virtual drive troubles are over,but i still need to fix my firmware. now that the virtual drive is gone i still can't update the fiemware for some reason.

can someone please help me with this ?

again thanks guys

6. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member