1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here's some of my misc. findings...Fliptop Users...

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by Drugby, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Drugby

Drugby Member

I have a V7 PS2 with the beloved Fliptop. Swap Magic DVD and CD versions that came to me are noticably used, thankfully they boot.

New to this particular scene, I began making some backups and burning at low speed to my ignorantly cheap Memorex DVD+R and CDRs....

Yadda yadda, I backed up Splinter Cell Pandora Tomorrow. Using the proper CDLOADER and then DVDLOADER [after shattering the CDLOADER copy I had burned, out of disgust] BETA options, I struggled through the main menu and froze on the final "O" during loading [which I hear is a common blockade]

Undaunted, I burn more backups with this Memorex media, having minimal success with Driv3r [it would load with one swap, no video at title screen, and it would play, however freeze, skip, and halt randomly.]

Suffering in the pockets a bit by wasting money on DVD-R media that my burner won't acknowledge, I knew my ability to purchase more reliable media was grim.

With handfuls of backups, some seeming to WANT to boot with Swap Magic, and/or DVDLoader, I began to experiment. After the CDLOADER prompt to PRESS EJECT and insert the SWAP MAGIC disc to revalidate PS2 media, I decided to try my various original games, just to see what would happen. I knew about TOC sizes just a small bit at this time.

I refreshed my TOC with some DVD9 games, nothing productive. Then I reached for my copy of The Getaway.

By using The Getaway as a TOC Swap, booting into Driv3r was noticably faster, low and behold, no main menu video, but much quicker loading performance...still had the intermittent lags and freezeups..

A friend loaned me 3 TDK DVD+R's...I made an image of my Driv3r backup, and burned it to these new TDK discs..at 1.6 speed.

One Swap later, the game loads much quicker, as expected, with full video, yet still has not TOO frequent pausings and etc...I KNEW this was a media issue.

There is no reported Swap Fix for Driv3r, but I intervened the boot with DVDLOADER for the heck of it.

Refreshed the TOC with The Getaway, and booted Driv3r.

Absolutely perfect.
    Never a pause, glitch or hangup.
    Cinema is perfect, loads nice and fast.

I don't know exactly how the TOC could be directly related to the intermittent hangups, but I've found a workaround.

Perhaps with the Ritek media I've heard such praise about, there will be no need to refresh TOC with The Getaway.

Sorry this post is so long, I've scoured damn near every thread here, I'm not quite a noob but I hope I've given others some insight on their troubleshooting because I DEFINATELY know the frustration!

Last edited: Oct 7, 2004
  2. jonels

jonels Regular member

oh great ,i'm expecting my swap discs to arrive tommorow and in anticipation have bought some dvd +r discs ... memorex obviously ,i thought they would be a good brand

oh well hopefully some of the dvdrips/backups i have will work when burned to cdr

anyway thanks for the info

Last edited: Oct 7, 2004
  3. Drugby

Drugby Member

Sure thing man, don't let those Memorex's get you down, but don't expect much out of them...

4. knapptown

knapptown Member

Now I'm really confused. I've been using memorex for all of my backup dvd's with no problems except now I have a 50 pack of -r's for ps2 gaming that is dwindling fast with no real succesful copies. I don't understand the TOC thing (table of contents??) and what it does. I have been struggling with Def Jam and experience that same problems you describe but not sure what to do to fix it. Would rather not go through hundreds of blank dvd's to figure out I'm a dumbass. Any help would be much appreciated.