1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hessitation and temoorary freezes upon playback

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by MESMD, Feb 19, 2005.

1. MESMD

MESMD Regular member

Hi,
    Sometimes after making a backup copy of my dvd movie, when I play it after about 20-30minutes, the movie seems to slow down for a couple of seconds or even freeze. I sometimes have to press the remote's fast forward to get it to start playing again. Assuming, I am using good backup media and a good dvd burner,what other causes are there that can be causing this? I make sure both the original DVD and Target blank are clean always. I use several programs including: Dvdxcopyxpress, 1clickdvdcopy, clonedvd2, etc. This can happen with any of the programs that I use to make the backup copy. Most of the time, although most of the time, I get a good running compressed copy without these problems. Is the speed of the copy of 2x or 4x too fast? I have gotten this with both speeds, also. Thank you very much for any help you might have or other advice.
    Mesmd

2. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

Your speed is fine i never burn at more than 4x . You didnt metion what kinda blank media you are using? Stick with the good stuff as in TY..Ritek..TDK...Sony...Verbatim...Maxell..remember memorex is pretty much junk media big NO NO.

3. bazilla

bazilla Regular member

Classic signs of poor quality media. Like the guy with the weird name -- ;) -- says, try better quality media. I just have to say, though, that not all Memorex is bad. But unless you know how to tell the good from the bad, it won't hurt to stay away from it. TY's the best. I've had bad Ritek. If you are going to burn a lot, spend some time in the DVD media forum and get up to speed on media quality issues, and how to test your media after a burn for crc errors.

4. MESMD

MESMD Regular member

Thanks to bazilla and aabbccdd both.
    I am using good Verbatim and Tdk media. I wonder if the quality of the stand alone tv playback dvd player is the problem. I just noticed that at times these problems of slowing and freezing occur on one player but not on a different player!! Could it be that a Hitashi $70.00 disk player attached to the tv is so cheap that it is having problems reading the burn from the computer burner of the movie? Maybe the media is fine but the player, although new, is poor quality and reads the newly burned disk in a subquality manner? Thanks again for any further advice.
    Miles

5. scorpi

scorpi Member

Hey guys its funny I have the same problem and guess what what dvd blanks I am Using? memorex
    not only do my dvds play skippish but recently when i burn my dvds i am now getting a "check region code message" and the movie cannot play at all. I am using dvd shrink.It seems that my problems are getting worder everday as I am trying different thins and different softwares. I even recently upgraded the firmware of my phillips 8601 to a benq to make it play dvd-r but now I get that region code thing. Is there anyone who can help with this? thanks

6. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

scorpi its a bad media problem i bet on it .Stick with the good stuff as in TY..Ritek..TDK...Sony...Verbatim...Maxell..remember memorex is pretty much junk media big NO NO.

7. eric545

eric545 Regular member

MESMD
    As much as I hate to admit it, the software you use, the DVD burner you use, the speed that you burn at, and possibly the strength of your computer makes more of a difference than the media you use.

In the past I had many of the same problems that you are experiencing however; since going to this specific sequence: DVD Decrypter, then DVD Shrink, and then writing the movie files using Roxio Easy Media Creator 7, to a DVD-R at 4x (and 4x only) using a Plextor PX-716SA (Internal, Serial ATA) DVD-R/RW/+R/+RW burner, I haven’t created a coaster yet! The media that I use is either 8x Dupsonic or 8x PowerMatrix White InkJet Printable DVD-R’s that I purchase from Allmediaoutlet.com and that is about as no name of media as you can get.

My burner (the Plextor) offers to burn 8x DVD-R’s at 16x and by accident I have burned a few at that speed, and the seem to do OK, however; by using a 4x writing speed that the software listed above I have yet to be disappointed.

8. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

@ eric545

your setup sounds very nice! i have a pioneer but plextor has always been a top performer! little pricey but, they are drives built to last....

i think with plextor company its all they concentrate on is drives! also does your plexy have booktype bit settings? and can you enable SPEED READ in dvd decrypter? or is this in next version of dvd decrypter?

i was thinking on a pioneer 109 but heard not great stories about these? as they changed the firmware and insides from previous 106 / 107 / 108 , so i will hold off it for now as hacked firmware isnt come yet!

9. MESMD

MESMD Regular member

eric545,
    I have the same Plextor burner, burn at 2-4x, use tdk or Verbatim DVD blanks and use many kinds of software from the free DVDSHRINK-DVDDECRYPTER, to 1CLKDVDCOPY, DVDCOPYXPRESS, CLONEDVD2, etc. Every burn seems to work well on the computer drives, however, when I take the backup and play it on a solo dvd player attached to the TV, about 1 in 10 disks at some place in the movie starts pixellating and slowing or temporarily freezing. I have to press ff on the remote to continue watching the movie. I still have not found the common denominator with all the various burn methods to implicate the cause of this intermittent nuisance. If I could, it would never be used again and my problem would be over. I still think the cheaper solo tv dvd is contributing to the reading irregularities. I guess to prove it, I should buy a different (better) solo tv dvd player and test it with all my burning!!! Anyway thanks for your help.
    Mesmd