1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hex editing PS3 save data

Discussion in 'PS3 - Modding & Hacking' started by serane, Nov 20, 2009.

1. serane

serane Member

Hi, I've HEX editted a Save Data (SAVEGAME.SVG) and loaded it up on the game but I've gotten an error saying 'Bad checksum, this file is corrupted'.

That's because I didn't update the checksum value, I know. But I'm still confused, I have a few questions ...

1) Is the checksum algorithm of a PS3's Save Data similar to that of a PS2's Save Data?
    2) Still CRC-32? Or different now?
    3) Where exactly is this PS3 checksum value? At the very beginning of a file, I'm assuming?

Thanks a lot!

2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. ibizagti

ibizagti Regular member

Which game are you "hex-editing", and what are you trying to achieve?

4. serane

serane Member

Modern Warfare 2.
    I only changed some values inside the file.

Why do you ask this question? Has this problem ever happened to other PS3 games?

5. emugamer

emugamer Regular member

I think the main question is "what are you trying to achieve?"

6. serane

serane Member

I don't see how is that relevant??

Values themselves don't corrupt the save, it's the checksum. :/

7. ibizagti

ibizagti Regular member

It is relevant, because i'm pretty sure you're trying to implement some sort of "hack". I don't think you will find many people on here who are willing to help you do this.
    Cheating on games is not cool. It's pretty annoying and ruins the game for other people. It's stuff like this that stopped me playing COD4 for over a month untill it was patched.
    Be a man and play fair.

8. serane

serane Member

No, no. It's not relevant because if it was, the values themselves would be causing the error, not the checksum itself, which is very unlikely.

Infinity Ward has already patched the method of putting things into the Save Data of Multiplayer. This is not included inside SAVEGAME.SVG.
    For example, if I try to load editted MPDATA, the server will delete the editted MPDATA and put the original one back.

And secondly, I'm trying to change values of Campaign data. I don't see how is that going to ruin the game for other people.

Please keep on topic and thanks!

9. mrgreaper

mrgreaper Regular member

im sorry but if you were only trying to edit single player stuff then you would have no problem saying what values you are editing. the fact you say it is irelevent can be classed as either rude or secretitive.

if you are editing multiplayer stuff then kindly unplug your ethernet cable and fill the socket with putty then open the ps3 and pull the wifi module out. this should be in all instructions for hacks exploits and other crud.

if on the other hand you are really editing single player stuff then tell us what your trying to achieve and how, maybe then we can assist (no harm cheating in single player games)

10. scum101

scum101 Guest

The saves are checksummed.. and signed.. you will need to build tools to do that for yourself.. that's why they don't work.

I suggest you look here http://www.haxnetwork.net/downloads.php?do=cat&id=13 for the gamesave hack tools ..

hey hey .. Ibitza.. hows it hanging dude??

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2009
  11. ibizagti

ibizagti Regular member

I repeat, it was relevant. as I wanted further information before I offered advice...kinda like asking a guy in a leatherface mask what he wants with a shiney new chainsaw before you sell it him.

good luck with your editing...

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  12. marcusita

marcusita Regular member

He is trying to edit the game save to cheat.........

13. mrgreaper

mrgreaper Regular member

again if he is doing it to cheat in single player, who cares? (hes paid for the game let him enjoy it how he likes)

if he is trying to cheat at multiplayer then he is not (i hope) gonna get anyhelp here or anywhere

14. marcusita

marcusita Regular member

Hex editing tools, yes, gamesave hacking tools i dont think so, over there people dont mind for personal use. Hacks for multi player games is hugely frowned upon.

Thats true, if its for single player big deal, for multi player that would be crap, but im not sure that editing a save game will affect multi player.

Some people also try and edit the game saves, to try and get the trophies, but i dont think that can happen either.

15. mrgreaper

mrgreaper Regular member

o_O your kidding ? im relatively new to ps3 but as far as i can tell the trophys are sonys answer to the achievment score on 360 both of which are very clever ideas as we all like to earn a little ego boosting lol but you dont get anything for having a certain amount do you? what would be the point to cheating to add unearned ones

16. marcusita

marcusita Regular member

Trophies are all about who has the most, the more you have the better you are at games, i personally hate them and hate having to wait for them to sync when i play a game like Tekken 6.

Some of the trophies can be quite hard to get, like the platinum one, so cheating to get them would be the easiest way to getting on top without all the hard work.

Though saying all that, i dont think it is possible to hack a game save to get trophies, though im not 100% sure, the reason i dont think it is possible to do so, is that the trophies are stored on Sony's server.

17. mrgreaper

mrgreaper Regular member

i see trophies as personal achievements and ego boosts there not really something to brag about but i can see what your saying (that some people may see this as bragging rights) i doubt anyone would really cheat to get them though (youd be a bit special to brag about getting a trophie when all you did was edit a file lol)

18. serane

serane Member

You cannot cheat Multiplayer via hex-editing SAVEGAME.SVG since it doesn't include any data for Multiplayer. But either way, it's impossible because the servers at IW blocked the DVARs used for Multiplayer, anyway.

However, it's possible to do that but in Single Player.
    I'm trying to achieve faster speed, high jump, godmode and infinite ammo just for fun.

I added these DVARS to the save file (SAVEGAME.SVG) without any problem. BUT I'm still stuck with the final part...

This save game is checksummed. Anything that is changed inside the file by other means will turn out to be corrupted because the current checksum value remains the same. That's why I need to update it... But I don't know how to deal with that.

I've ran so many tests (running and saving various saves in very similar manner), compare to each other and then try to find the address for this checksum. I was told that checksums are usually located at the very beginning of a file.

Now, I think I know where the checksum is. It's a 8 bytes value...
    which is always changed in each save, while other stuff at the beginning remain the same. So that value must be the checksum. For example, 27d688a4.

Is that checksum 32? Or CRC-32? It cannot be MD5 cause the value would be longer than 8 bytes, right?

At the moment, I'm trying to generate CRC on this file (without hex-editing anything, except the checksum value) to see if the generated CRC is the same as the listed CRC in the file. So far, all my results are different...

This is hard. >.>

Next...

19. grkblood

grkblood Regular member

your right about one thing, thats def. not md5

20. serane

serane Member

Anybody know a program that displays the checksum of a file?

21. serane

serane Member

^ Actually, I found some but they are useless. The programs usually generate CRC on the WHOLE file...