1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hey, I'm new - Got a PSP question

Discussion in 'Sony Handhelds' started by wiinis, Sep 17, 2007.

1. wiinis

wiinis Member

Hey everyone,

I was wondering what the main disadvantages are of having a japanese PSP and living in North America. I was told the games would all work, but the movies wouldn't.

I have dabled in DS and Wii modding, so I am not a total newb, but new to PSP. I want to buy the white psp slim, not crazy about having the Darth Vader version that releases on the 9th. Have the white Ds and macbook, so I want the PSP to match (geeky I know).

I want to be able to rip DVD's to be able to watch them on the psp or the TV via video out. Also want music and to be able to play iso's from flash. Could I do all that with the Japanese psp? Any issues?

Thanks!

2. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

No issues what-so-ever, i'm a Jap PSP user in the UK and i've never had any problems... then again i'm on custom firmware, that shouldn't matter anyway, as it's just UMD Videos.

3. chwoolgar

chwoolgar Regular member

I have a japanese import and i have never had any issues with it before.

You will probably be able to find a PSP in the UK soon at the same price as importing one as the PSP Slim has been released now and the phat one is an old model.

4. wiinis

wiinis Member

Thanks for the responses.

I kind of like the idea of being able to play the North American UMD's... I just want a plain white PSP slim, no Vader.

I am not sure if I am going to try to mess with downgrading and stuff to play iso's. Maybe the answer is to get 2 psp's! One to mess with and one to keep stock.

What do I have to know to be able to play backups? I checked out some of the other threads, but I don't find them really clear. Can someone break it down for me?
    Thanks!

5. Fruitz

Fruitz Member

@wiinis

If you want to play Your legaly own PSP UMD backups on your SLIM psp... you will actually need CFW (custom firmware) as sony doesn't allow Isos to be played on thier slims with the official firmware....

So for your psp slim to play Iso backups you'll need to upgrade to 3.60 M33 firmware to run homebrew apps (except ones that require the origianl 1.50 kernel) Iso, and many more. But that isn't gonna be possible if your planning to stick with "stock" firmware.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  6. wiinis

wiinis Member

Thanks for the info. What apps need the 1.5 kernel?
    What kind of risk is involved with putting custom firmware on your psp? Can you brick it? Is it possible to go back to sony's firmware after you have gone custom?

7. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Lot's of homebrew needs 1.5 kernel... but don't worry about it, M33 will probably have hacked it soon.

To install 3.60 M33 you'll need to get a Pandora battery that has been modified for use on the Slim (You can make these with CFW PSPs or buy one ready made), it has no risk, as the Pandora battery is also an unbricker :)

I'm not actually sure about upgrading back to official firmware on the Slim, but even if you can't for now, it wouldn't matter, as custom firmware is so much better.

8. yoyo23

yoyo23 Regular member

i know this has nothing to do wjhat were talking about here but i didnt want make a new thread,can u use the slim psp psndora's battery to unbrick or downgrade a fat psp

9. Super_OG

Super_OG Guest

Hey People,

I just got a new PSP(not Slim)

I was wondering if you can tell me what i need to do
    to it to be able to download games to it, like for example
    what i need to download to my computer first, then......
    (basicly the steps i need to take and firmwares i need
    to upload to my PSP)

10. larrylje

larrylje Active member

@Super_OG

What firmware does your PSP have?

Go to system settings then system information and look at the system software.

11. Fruitz

Fruitz Member

@Super_OG

Okay, so you say you want to play downloaded games on your PSP correct?

Okay so what you'll be needing is the following:
    Custom Fimrware*
    A downloaded game*

Okay so first off, you will need CFW (custom fimware) to play your downloaded Isos (downloaded games). So in order to get custom firmware you'll need your PSP to have the origianl 1.50 fimware, if not, you can just downgrade it. Currently all (fat) PSP's are downgradeable, so im not going to go into detial.

After you are at 1.50 firmware, you can now upgrade to CFW. The latest CFW is 3.52M33 (which can then upgrade to 3.52M33-4).

Now that you have CFW, you can format you memory stick so you have the new directories. With that comes a folder called "ISO" where all of your downloaded iso or cso games go. You can then run them on your PSP!

P.S: In order to downgrade you'll need to let's us know (in order for us to help you) buy going into "Settings" in your psp's "home" menu then down to "system settings" then "system information" and it tell you your system's firmware.

Well hope that helped! {^_^}