1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

hi guys =) ...this is ANOTHER hard drive question, please be so kind and help =)

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by jenny222, May 11, 2007.

1. jenny222

jenny222 Member

First off, thank you for taking time out to read this. Your concern and willingness to help is really comforting.

I was reading through the forums and found a few hard drive questions, but they weren't 100% relevant to my problem. The reason why I tell you this is because before bothering you guys with a new thread, I really did try to find the answers first.

Okay my problem. I built a brand new computer (first time hehe). I only have one hard drive...it's a 250-gig. However, after all the reformating and windows installation, I checked my C drive and it says "125 GB free, 232 GB available" ...from reading what you guys have been saying, the 232 is probably as good as my 250gig gets, but...how come only 125GB is free? Although this hard drive has been briefly used before, I reformatted everything before installing Windows.

Please contribute your opinions. All advise is geatly appreciated =).

Jenny

2. gtjr_ph

gtjr_ph Regular member

maybe there is a partition(125gb) you did not delete and an un allocated partition(125gb) which is not formatted

3. ffg7

ffg7 Regular member

4. sandisk

sandisk Regular member

Right click on "My Computer" and go down to "Manage" and click it.

Now, when a window opens on your screen, in the left hand panel click on "Disk management".

Now look over on the right hand side and check to see if there is a patition not formatted.

It should say something like (C:) 135gb Healthy 100gb Not allocated.

If this is the case, right click on "100gb" not allocated and click format.

Tick "quick format" and apply/ok.

After a few minutes you should have all nearly all your hd space :)

Hopefully thats all the problem is and you recover your space.

Good luck
    Sandisk

5. jenny222

jenny222 Member

Thank you Qtjr, ffg7, and Sandisk for your input =)...again I really appreciate it.

qtjr and sandisk, I followed you guys' advice and checked the partition space. First I did the whole reformatting process over again and at the screen where it lets you delete partitions, make partitions, etc. I deleted all partitions and tried to repartition...the maximum space it gave me was 130GB instead of the 250GB. Next, I did what sandisk told me, but the only thing windows recognize is 125GB...I did not see any other unpartitioned or unallocated space.

I'm using Windows XP Pro, and the drive is in NTFS format. Hmm I have heard people talk about needing service pack 1 or 2...=/
    Before I bother you with more questions, let me try to read that link you sent me =)

Again thank you guys!!

Jenny

6. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if have a floppy drive & have or can get a copy of win98 or winme boot floppy disk then can use that disk to fdisk & format that drive as 1 250gig hd. will be formated as a fat32. did that for a customer's 250gig hd before loading xp pro on it. can also get a win98 bootdisk from this link. http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

7. vegeta66

vegeta66 Guest

sp1 and sp2 need to be installed, with out sp2 the max hdd space xp can use on 1 partition is 125-135gbs i think.

8. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

can be fdisked & formated as 1 partition on 250gig with fat32 as i've done it lots of times. can be converted to ntfs format if saving files over 4gig in size.