1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi. Im new to digital camcorders

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by heter, May 2, 2004.

1. heter

heter Member

hey. Im 14 and I just started getting intrested in digital camcorders. First, Id like to buy one. Maybe you can help me out on what I should get from what I want to do with it. Now remember im just a 14 year old, so try to keep the price reasonable please.

I would like to obviously record video and then plug it into my computer and use some kind of software to edit it.

I would like to add sound music and visual effects. For example, like a blaster effect from star wars or a lightsaber effect. I know it is possbile because Ive seen 3rd party videos who have done it. Also Id like to be able to view it other than just on my computer. Is there a way to edit it, then watch it on my tv some how? I would like to do this also.

Besides that I dont really know what else can be done with digital camcorders. SO for now Id like to do what I stated above.

Please help thanks.

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi heter,
    I just bought my first camcorder about a month ago. What I did to get familiar with what is out there was to just "Google" for camcorders. I ended up getting a JVC from Sears of all places. It was a return so I got it for half price which was what I found a new one selling for on-line.

You will probably want to look for a Mini DV camera, just make sure your computer has a Firewire or IEE1394 port that you can plug the camera into. Thats how the DV is transferred. Don't forget to get the cable, a battery and some videocassettes for your camera.
    If you have Windows XP then you should have Windows Movie Maker software installed. This is a pretty good program for learning basic video editing and adding audio.
    The special effects don't include any blaster effects but once you get WMM figured out you can move up to DVD Lab, etc. The programs needed for good special effects are going to cost more than your camera.
    Once you complete the editing process you will want to turn the movie into a DVD. There are a few different ways to get there, depending on what programs you are using to edit with.
    For example, I may capture the DV .avi from my camera with WMM, output the resulting .avi files into Cucusoft's .avi to DVD converter which converts and demuxes them into .m2a and .mpa. These are just what I need for DVD Lab where I add a menu. I then let DVD Lab convert it to a DVD-Video compliant VIDEO_TS folder and then burn this to a disc or put it on my hard drive for later use.

You can make a VCD with just Windows Movie Maker so you can keep it simple if you like.

Cheers,
    Frank

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Sony VAIO
    Suzuki GSXR1000
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: May 3, 2004
  3. whassup

whassup Regular member

A lot of Camcorders now have software included. Look for ones that give older versions of Adobe Premiere, Ulead Videostudio, etc.

Those are great proggies that will allow audio/video effects quite easily.

4. heter

heter Member

I dont think I havea firewire port. will usb work? or is tyhere an adapter?

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

USB won't work. I tried that! They sell adapters that plug into your PCI slots. Try a Google search for Firewire adapter cards. They are pretty common and around $35.00 or so if I remember correctly.