1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hi, please help.

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by Eugene482, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

A while ago, (6 months) I used BitLord as my torrent downloading program. I heard that there was a "peerguardian" so I installed it. My torrent speeds were slow so I port forwarded the port because I am behind a router. The speeds gotten faster, however I didn't always turn on the peerguardian because I forgot. So I got an e-mail from Rogers saying that I sell or infringe material something about washington. So after that, I didn't want to download again. Ok, now, is it worth the risk to turn on PeerGuardian and use Azereus? I tried using mIRC but the libraries are too small. Also, what if I changed from Rogers internet to DSL Bell, does that change anything? Thanks a lot.

2. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Changing ISP's won't change things but as you're in Canada, about the worst that can happen is that your ISP may boot you if they have to keep contacting you about copyright infringement. While it's not 100%, I'd definitely run Peer Guardian. I'd also look into getting a new client, BitLord is one of the worst. As Azureus can be fairly complicated, my recommendation would be utorrent or BitTornado but it needs a port range. And switching to Bell should give you a significant speed increase for torrents as Rogers throttles them unless your area doesn't: http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_ISPs

3. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

What does it mean "boot me"? Also, the Bell ISP is temporary. It's their 3 month free offer. My dad gave them his credit card number so, it's kinda bad. Should I try Azereus or no? Also, I know that "guarded" torrents are on things that people care about eg: the newest game released by ubisoft. They don't really send you infringment message if you download some russian movie. But what if I want to download a Japanese game that has not been released in Canada/US?

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

moved to correct forum

5. mistycat

mistycat Active member

"Boot me" just means that your account will be cancelled, in this case your dad's. I know nothing of games and Azureus is probably the most popular client, just more complicated. If the Russian movie is relesed by an American company, I would assume their copyright law would apply, not likely to happen.

6. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

Yah but, the game is fully in Japanese and is not even out in NA. So is it copyrighted? I just don't want to be sued.

7. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Probably not but don't know. Japan must have some kind of copyright law or the game could have been developed by an American company in Japan but copyrighted in America, don't know.

8. Eugene482

Eugene482 Regular member

How can japan monitor NA ISPs? Aww, man. But why when you change your ISP that "infringement" thing stays and counts as 2 if you got 1 at each ISP provider? How can ISPs communicate to each other?

9. mistycat

mistycat Active member

Like I said, I don't know. If it's a game developed in Japan by a NA subsidiary, who knows. And the "letter" from one ISP won't follow you to another ISP. I'm not even sure if game manufacturers are monitoring downloads/uploads, someone else will have to comment on that.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007