1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HI THERE!! I REEEALLY NEED SOME HELP PLEEEASE!!! =)

Discussion in 'Xbox - Software discussion' started by shortsta, Apr 12, 2007.

1. shortsta

shortsta Member

hi there guys!!
    i was just wondering if you could help me out with my problem...
    the thing is...i have got my xbox networked to my pc and im using FlashFXP...and it all works...apart from the fact that wen i come to transfer some of the files i want...they fail! I have already transfered a couple of movies and some songs...but wen i come to transfering some of these other ones...they fail straight away! It says something like...

200 Port command ok.
    STOR 02-fall_out_boy-the_take_over_the_breaks_over.mp3
    426 Connection closed , file opening failed.
    Transfer Failed!

Can anyone help me please?? THanks in advance!! =)
    Jed

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Forum rules ask that you use a descriptive thread title in order to help those who can help you. Also you're question has been asked and answered amny times so if you check out our stickies at the tops of the pages you'll find a wealth of information ;)

3. janrocks

janrocks Guest

actually Neph .. this is an interesting one.. there is a very simple but not obvious explanation, which doesn't seem to have been mentioned apart from by me once or twice..

File name length.. They MUST be under 24 (or is it 28) characters, including any spaces. Also there are certain dis-alowed characters like ().,<>^ etc.. usually roms, but music files fail a lot too.
    Rename the awkward ones.. I batch change them, to get rid of any nonsense.. A song track doesn't need all the "downoladedfrom" and the full name of the album, artist and year etc.

I still think that ALL hopeless and non descriptive threads with "help me" and "xbox help" should just be closed.. 3 strikes and banned...
    What is so hard about coming up with something like.. "Some files fail to transfer using flash fxp"???

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2007
  4. casper007

casper007 Guest

I agree janrocks, it aint hard to come up with a decent title for a thread. Also I noticed the same failure of my overly long music and video files, and did manage to solve it by renaming, and removing the add on trash data that comes with them.

5. shortsta

shortsta Member

whoa! mixed reactions there lol...anyways...first of all, THANKYOU SO MUCH!! it was really bugging me lol and also...sorry u guys...for the title thing...and sorry i couldnt find about the files not transferring....but thanks again! hopefully i won't annoy u guys again =)

6. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

No worries champ. Just keeping things tidy - have fun :)

7. Grimmest

Grimmest Member

I just wanted to add some information to this from my experiences.
    janrocks is absolutely right about the filename and length issues.

I've found that it isn't a problem with flashfxp though. It is the ftp server running on and of course the underlying fatx format of the xbox. But there is another quick way that will work in most cases. The XBMC dashboard uses a version of the filezilla ftp server which will automatically truncate and remove illegal characters when a transfer is requested to the xbox. I'm not saying you have to use XBMC, but it gets rid of a lot of the headaches of the naming convention of the xbox.

8. janrocks

janrocks Guest

Thanks Grimmest.. Learn something every day ;-)
    I never used the FTP facility in XBMC so I wasn't aware of that useful little feature.. Cheers.
    {goes off to experiment with some roms}

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2007