1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hidden treasures

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by rcm999, Jan 13, 2007.

1. rcm999

rcm999 Regular member

I've discovered a little tactic that has proven worth the trouble. I've looked high and low for more Sony MIJ and other items we won't go into, at the major stores here in Nashville, TN. But once while driving from Memphis back to Nashville and with time to spare, I took detours off the main highways to some small towns which had the major stores that are known for carrying our coveted Sony media. As luck would have it, a few of the stores had NOS and lo and behold, there were the white octagon spacers.

Sometimes, it pays to go off the beaten path to small town stores (Wal-Mart, K-Mart, BB, even Walgreen's, etc.) and just look. I've met some new friends along the way too.

Bottom line: If you have some time, check out the small-town stores, go have lunch at the local diner, enjoy your find!

2. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

MIJ Sonys code out as Taiyo Yuden which i buy online at SMS shipped right to my door NO tax,No gas and i don't waste time finding TY media

3. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

yeah but MichaelP1...... you don't get to meet people and have lunch at the local diner and make new friends........... bahhhhhhhhhhh humbug! LOL! ohhhhhhh the holidays just passed..... ok .... become a hermit and don't shower or shave! LOL I get a kick out of these threads!

4. rcm999

rcm999 Regular member

@IHoe - I forgot to mention too about skipping down the sidewalk throwing flowers and kisses to the world! Hahahahaha. I know what you mean there! Being a good old Southern boy, I was trying to throw a little Mayberry into the mix. Still, Sony - MIJ is Sony - MIJ! I ventured out again yesterday and got skunked. I think the word has spread. Looks like ordering true TY online or buying Verbs on sale from the retail stores will be the norm from here on.

5. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

lol i knew you come around

6. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

Yep, I live in a small town and can still find MIJ Sonys, but they aren't inexpensive. Unfortunely, the store won't pricematch as ads say 16X and these are 8X. They get you on a technicality. MIJ Fujis have been long gone for almost a year. I haven't seen MIJ Maxells since the price went down to $16.99/100 CAD (with rebate)at Future Shop. I had to go to the city to get those.

7. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

I had to add this little bit in....yes, you do get to meet people and TRY to educate them. I was in one store where a woman was pondering over the vast array of media. I told her what to look for and where to get it. By chance, I happened to go to the recommended store and saw her inline waiting to purchase Memorex. UGH!!! oh well, I tried! People look for a bargain rather than waiting for sales or paying a higher price. Yes, I know some people have luck with Memorex but many, many don't. Why take chances?

8. rcm999

rcm999 Regular member

Oh I too have tried. I work in IT and there are six of us in the office. I've tried to tell the others, even shown them the articles and findings of cheap vs. quality media. They all think I'm a dumba**, because they do what they darn well please. When I hear about 11 out of a pack of 25 failing, followed by "No biggie - it only cost $6", I cringe. They don't seem to understand their true cost is almost $11. All I can do is advise. I'd think IT professionals would be more receptive to knowledge.

9. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

what people don't know is what rcm999 already knows
    It is cheaper to buy the good stuff and know that it won't fail you than to buy the so called "Cheaper" stuff because you'll have to reburn them or discard them if it doesn't burn right from the start! So getting the higher priced quality media is actually saving money!

10. MichaelP1

MichaelP1 Guest

plus the quality media isn't anymore money that the junk media if you price shop it

exmaple i buy all my Taiyo Yudens online and it comes out to about 24 cents a disc

11. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

Yes, repeat, use more than one disc to get a perfect backup. Plus the saying "Time is money" as it takes more than twice as long.

12. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

mackdl- Yes Buying quality media the first time is good insurance ! " Fool me once ! Shame on You ! Fool me twice Shame on me ! " . Lets strive to not be ashamed LOL! True though ! IF you tell them & show them and they still don't care then it's on them & not you ! Ignorance means I don't know ! and everyone is ignorant about something there is know shame in that ! Stupidity or being stupid means they don't care like the guys with 11 failures out of 25 disc ! That's why I like it here So I can learn before I burn or get burned ! I feel sorry for those poor people who actually pay full price or even sale price for crap off brand media but what'ya gonna do ? well that's my .02 cents anyways !

13. rcm999

rcm999 Regular member

Like leading the horse to water, huh? Hey, maybe if we dress as the Pied Piper . . . ;-)

14. Allegro1

Allegro1 Regular member

Has anyone tried Sears? I heard that they often have MIJ Sony's and they will PM most ads. $12.99/50 is pretty good.

15. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

Allegro1- went about a week or so ago & picked up some MIJ maxells - The wrappers were a little worse for wear not opened or anything just old stock that had been shelved & shifted around abit ! The only problem I have with sears is I usually only hear about a good sale after the fact ! other than that everything is everything !

16. rcm999

rcm999 Regular member

Now going to an unlikely source like Sears seems like a good idea. I know the Walgreen's near my office has Sony-MIJ in the - format, but the + format is all MIT. I even check Big Lots every now and then, too. I'm bound and determined to find at least one more Sony-MIJ in the + format; even if it's only a 25-pack. It's become a quest now.

17. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

I want Joe to know I read his posts, I will continue to and treat him with respect as I do with all other members. His posts have educated me as well. However, I will also continue to recommend media that has the least incompatibility issues.

rcm999, I do love the thrill of the hunt...gets me out of the house.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2007
  18. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

which would be Taiyo Yuden and or Verbatim

19. mackdl

mackdl Regular member

Don't forget my beloved MIJ Maxells!

Aabbccdd, happy to see you back! Served your term HUH? Forgot to use your "get out of jail" free card?

20. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

thanks mackdl , i am glad to be back

now you guys can see Adriana again lol