1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hide Folders

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by browny7, Sep 10, 2003.

1. browny7

browny7 Member

I am requiring a software that will allow me to hide files. I have had a trial with a software called 'hide folder'. It costs £26 to buy in full & is just the business. Is it possible to get this software for free at any freeware sites? Is there any other software similar that might be free? I dont want to come across tight but I would rather have the chance to get it for free if possible, thank you.

Regards

2. KaneeMan

KaneeMan Member

Yo, if you're using XP then you don't need any software.

Just find the folder you want to hide on your computer and right click. select properties, then at the bottom above the OK and Cancel buttons you'll see some boxes that have "Archive" "Read-Only" or "Hidden", just select hidden and a box will ask if you want to apply it to all subfolders. Just select yes

to view this file whenever you want to acces it:
    Go up to Tools
    Select Folder Options
    and scroll down and check the box that says
    "Show all hidden folders and files"

do that to either hide the folder, or see what you have hidden.

If you hide a folder, make sure you opt to not be able to see it from the window or else there's no point in hiding it.

I believe this is the same for most windows versions unless you're using 95 or 98.

If so, I can't help ya

3. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

A better technique would be to spend some time creating user classes and users and restricting access to certain drives and folders to certain user classes (just remember to allow the Administrator, you, to be able to do anything or you may find out your are in big doodoo). If you are using XP however make sure you do not create your users using the 'pretty' interface because that only lets you make guests and administrators. Use the interface available under, Adminstrative Tools (somewhere in there)

Here are some programs that may serve your needs (i have no idea on the shareware/freeware status of them):
    - AccessDenied
    - Easy File & Folder Protector
    - Folder Shield 2003
    - FolderView
    - Hide Folder
    - WinLock

PS. KaneeMan, that works on other versions than just XP :)