1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

high bandwith usage problem

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by PetahG, Apr 23, 2007.

1. PetahG

PetahG Guest

Hey
    This is illegal matter but i'll ask anyways...
    I was recently downlaoding lots of torrents and cogeco shut my internet down because I was using too much bandwith...so I kept downlaoding ...din't think it was a big matter...so they shut me down again but this time warned me that I wouldn't be a member of cogeco anymore if i kept doing that...
    So what I am aksing is if anyone knows a way to hide how much bandwith I am using..to hide my data transfer(downlaoding/uploading)...or a way to change my IP or to hide my IP so they can't recognize me ======>if I do that will it hide my activitiess??will it do something to my computer???
    Any suggestions are great..

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

There are some ways that you can hide your IP address from other Internet users, but you can't hide it from your ISP (Internet Service Provider)! Think about it. They are sitting at the other end of the wire! They KNOW what you use, because it passes through their network. So technically, it can't be done.

Legally, it's like asking "How can I hide how much electricity I use from the power company?", or "How can I get 20 gallons of gasoline from the gas station, but make the clerk think I only got 5?". It's called fraud. That's F-R-A-U-D.

The only way, legal or otherwise, to get more bandwidth is to pay for it. Find a different ISP. Maybe you won't get any more letters, eh?

Look here.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?num=100&hl=en&safe=off&q=cogeco+letter+torrent&meta=

and here

http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php/Bad_ISPs

3. PetahG

PetahG Guest

Thnx for the reply..
    The links u posted are great but I don't understand this part from the second link.."limits bandwidth during certain times of the day" it says that for cogeco so does that mean that only during certain times they watch ur bandwith usage....cuz what I've observed is that they only shut my internet down during night when I was sleeping and when I had more than 1 torrent downloading...u think it's possible that the check only during certain times?
    Also...i've been downloading for over 3 months but about the last month I was downlaoding like 20 days straight day and night and it wasn't until now they send me the letter...does cogeco have a certain limit of how much can downlaoded over month and i've gone over the limit or is it teh fact that they just happen to have finally noticed my high bandwith usage...
    Lastly..do u think that they have me marked down somehere and are gona watch my internet activity for the next couple months...
    Thnx

4. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Actually, it says they don't

[​IMG]

I'm sure they are more concerned when they are busy than when it's quiet.

I think maybe 20 days and nights was pushing it a bit...

Look here

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cogeco

A guys says "you'll find that they don't care so much about download as they do upload. You can go well over 60GB on downloading and not have any problems. You'll get an automated bandwidth warning before you had any serious issues - until then, keep on downloading"

Lastly..do u think that they have me marked down somehere and are gona watch my internet activity for the next couple months...
    Thnx[/quote]

I think you triggered something. If you keep your head down you'll probably be OK.

5. PetahG

PetahG Guest

hmmm
    I don't lik eto upload but I am part of a private torrent site where I need to keep a 1:1 ratio and I was seeding more than usuall so that's what probably got them spooked...
    What is your opinion on dsl..is it as fast as cogeco and is it true it has unlimited bandwith usage...

lastly...u think ill be fine if I start downloading again but maybe seeding less and also just keepimg it during the day and shuting it off during the night...?
    thnx

6. ucfmoe

ucfmoe Regular member

Could you be warned if you download too much from NewsGroups, or is this primarily a Torrent issue?

7. PetahG

PetahG Guest

I dunno i think if you go over your bandwith limit its because ur downloading torrents...what lese would u be dowanloding

8. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

@ ucfmoe : What are you on about ?
    I have, to this day, never heard of anyone getting warned for downloading too much off of Usenet.
    I've seen folks get their Usenet capped due to downloading more than they where allowed per month, but that does not seem to be the issue here.

@ PetahG : since your ISP is listed as one of the few that doesn't limit downloads, it's obviously the uploading you did that ticked them off.
    then again, since they did warn you about downloading too much, i'd suggest looking into a different ISP either way, because if an ISP advertises "unlimited bandwidth" but then complains about using too much, something's obviously not right.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2007
  9. PetahG

PetahG Guest

Thnx..all ur info has been great...I guess my solution to my problem is to learn how to use ratio master...a program that let's u trick the private torrent site (won't mention the name)into thinking ur uploading alot when ur not..My only concern is that if I do this will my ISP think i'm really uploading that much..
    But thnx for all ur help all of you

10. The_Fiend

The_Fiend Guest

That's just plain...STUPID.
    Not only will you be BANNED from said private torrent site (because they have scripts to detect your cheating software*, if you do that, you can rest assured that no one here will ever help you with ANY P2P problems again, because we have a disdain for ratio cheaters.

11. PetahG

PetahG Guest

You know what I'm sorry..
    Thnx for the advice given

12. PetahG

PetahG Guest

Hey here is some info just for the benefit on interest..
    I called cogeco and got my password for my account so I could see my bandwith usage...
    here are my bandwidth usage stats

Monthly combined bandwidth limit3: 61440 MB
    Current month's bandwidth used to date (MB)
    Upstream1: 71878
    Downstream2: 52368

Current month's percentage of combined limit used: 202 %
    Current month's estimated bandwidth usage4 (based on the current daily average usage): 155280 MB
    Estimated amount current limit will be exceeded by5 (based on the current daily average usage): 93840 MB

So once again proven it was the fcat that I uploaded too much that ticked them off...
    Thnx for all ur help once again.