1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

high capacity cdr's (800mb)

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by FIXIT, Jun 14, 2002.

1. FIXIT

FIXIT Regular member

presently i can squeeze about 810mb onto a 700mb cdr but i want more (greed heh) so what kind of capacity has an 800 mb disk got for vcd, will i need a newer writer to support these disks? secondly are even bigger disks available and will my standalone dvd player support 800mb disks and larger? finally can any one recomend a reliable writer for larger cd's? thanks.

2. gadget23

gadget23 Member

i am currently trying to use 800mb cdr's - not having much luck tho as neither my cdrw drive or dvd drive will even recognise them!!! gonna try to update the firmware and try again. i'm told that neroburn will handle the larger disks so writing to them should be OK. there are also 900mb cdr's avalable apparently!!! :) no idea about home dvd players picking up bigger disks either - sorry!

3. fallen_br

fallen_br Member

CELY: It should give you about 915MB. There are also 99min/850MB discs, that will give you even more space. The only way you can know if your DVD player will work is trying! A very good writer for these discs are the LG 16, 32 or 40x writers.

4. Racemann

Racemann Regular member

How do you guys get so much capacity out of that kind of media?

What kind/brand of media are you using and are there any other burners besides the LG capable of overburning so much?

5. FIXIT

FIXIT Regular member

i personally am writing with a matshita 8 speed writer using nero software and burning on cheap an nasty intenso disks which are overburning without any problems, i am presently considering a 40x plextor writer but am unsure about its capabilities its a 40/12/40A but plextor website only gives compatibility of standard 74 and 80 mins cds, has any one tried larger cds with plex writers? and what are other peoples thoughts on them cos a lot of people ive talked to rate them as the best

6. fallen_br

fallen_br Member

Plexwriters are unable to use long media up to the end, only until a certain part. If you want overburning until past 99:59, you should get a LG or a Lite-On, for example. Plextors are IMO overrated.

7. gadget23

gadget23 Member

latest - updated the firmware and still no luck with the larger disks - there again my writer won't do overburning!!! :(
    also hear about sony's new double density cdr's that take 1.3Gb!!!!!!!! guess you'll also need sony's special dead expencive cd writer too!!!! anyone know anything about them? tried to send sony a message but no reply yet :(

8. afogh

afogh Guest

Personally I believe these extra-size special formats are overrated. They tend to be incompatible to read, may write only with this or that drive e.t.c. I personally recommend getting your hands on a A04 dvd writter.