1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Def DVD Viewing - LGBH100 vs. XboX 360 & Playstation 3 ?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray players' started by brian_wbr, Jan 24, 2007.

1. brian_wbr

brian_wbr Member

I've been beating myself up over this and wanted to create a post just to get some feedback from you guys!

I've reserved the new LG BH100 player that's to be released February 1st, 2007. As you know this is the first consumer set-top DVD unit that will play both Blueray and HD-DVDs. It's been getting pretty good reviews but it costs 1,200 US dollars!

I'm wondering if it would be smater to buy an Xbox 360 (400 dollars) with a HD-DVD upgrade (200 dollars) and a Playstation 3 (600 dollars) which would cost about the same amount? I'm not a huge gamer but it seems like I'd be getting more and would have the option to play games. There would be 3 components instead of one, but that's not a huge deal to me.

My biggest question is how reliable these gaming systems are at playing the high definiton dvds. You'd be using them like regular set-top players. There was not a ton of information on the BH100 either, since it's new and no one has actually used it yet.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. chubbyInc

chubbyInc Regular member

I heard the LG player has problems properly playing HD DVD.
    The HD DVD Upgrade for 360 can be used without the 360, not sure of the procedures to make that possible.
    And P3 might not be a good choice yet, not sure if all the bugs are out yet.

Might not be wise to blow $1200 just yet on either High Def system.

3. deresgt

deresgt Member

that LG player doesn't really sound all that great like what they've said. sure it can play HD DVD, but you don't get the whole experience, only the movie (no java, i think). on the other hand, if you get a 360 with the addon and a PS3, you'll save a bit of money (i'm guessing around $100). plus, you get to play some games along with it and you'll get to experience everything for both formats. but really, what's the rush to switch to these new players? DVD will still be around and i refuse to put so much money down just for a movie player. (although i did get a PS3 for gaming, don't have a 360 so i can't comment on it)

4. azndrake

azndrake Member

DO NOT GET A XBOX 360 b/c Xbox 360 is Seriously Flawed in DVD Playback

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,2088533,00.asp

5. sanecrazy

sanecrazy Regular member

1 thing i read today was that PS3 doesnt upscale normal dvds. Dont know if the LG does but id assume it would. Im a bit gutted about the no upscaling cos i just bought a PS£ but I bought it mainly for gaming and playing Blueray movies second.