1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High Resolution Audio Library

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by Champeon, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Champeon

Champeon Member

Many people would like to set up a high def/highly organized digital music library of audio files. Because many of us don't do this everyday, we are not up to speed on the latest and greatest techniques, software, methods, etc. Of course there is price v.s. performance issues which will weigh in with this discussion, however I think a snapshot of current knowledge could be used as a quick guide for those of us who want to do it right the "first" time then decide how much $money$ to put into this endeavor. So . . . I guess I am calling for the wise ones in this subject to help me put this into one thread.

Format Suggestions:
    Excellent Setup ("Best of the Best"), a Moderate Setup (for those of us with thin wallets and less time), and a Barebones Setup for those who are technically challenged but desire good results. Perhaps another path to take is to simply list what works and what doesn't. What gives excellent and reliable results, and what generally doesn't.

The Simple Basics:
    Garbage in, garbage out certainly applies. Therefore, find a clean audio source, record with software which provides good quality, and reliable results. Then when one wishes, one can record or backup to DVD-A, or perhaps convert file type for surround sound or other reasons. Of course, it would be nice to have a nice library user interface to play back music. We want flexibility, good results, no hassles. So, how do we get there?

What to Consider (What is good, better, and the best?):
    Audio Sources: digital file, CD's, DVD's? (And many others. Mainly, make sure the source is CD quality or above if possible.)
    Audio File Formats: 24/48 or 24/96 wav, lossless wav etc . . (And many others, but what are the general top three we think should be used.)
    Internet Sources: www.linnrecords.com/linn-downloads.aspx For Example. (Are there any others we think offer good results?)
    Audio Recording Software: Nuendo? WavLab? WMP?(What is everyone using? What would we suggest?)
    Audio Conversion Software: (What is everyone using? What would we suggest?)
    Music Library Software: Windows Media Player, iTunes, but surely there are better ones besides Microsoft and Apple. (What do we think is the most useful and appealing currently? Top Three?)

Do's & Don'ts:
    I think this would be interesting to leave to the experts.

Okay, so there's a start. I am sure there is much to be said and other things to consider. This effort is not intended to answer all scenarios, just a quick "how to" once we've all reached consensus. Also, I realize some of this topic may do well in another forum, but really, . . . . for those of us desiring to set up a high resolution audio library from point A to point B: these are some of the things we must consider on the way. I look forward to hearing the experts nail a few of these things down in one general thread if that is possible. I hope many of us find this useful.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

2. harrydvd

harrydvd Member

I'm surprised no one's responded to this.