1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

high speed burning bites me in the arse

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by agent-k, Aug 15, 2004.

1. agent-k

agent-k Regular member

Yesterday I dug out my old copies of Age of Empires, Age of Empires 2 and the expansion pack.
    They looked a bit scratched and tatty so I thought I would make a backup copy of each for future use while they were still working.
    Now I've always burned everything as fast as possible, dvd's at 8xspeed, cd's at warp 10. never had any problems. I've seen other people post messages on this forum saying that slower equals better.
    This has always been a source of amusement to me.
    My usual thoughts being 'don't talk such crap' and 'it's time you got some better equipment then'.
    Anyway I just spent the last 24 hours trying to back up the aforementioned games but every time I try and install from the copies it stops after about 57%.
    I tried Clony, Alcoholer, Alcohol 120%, clone cd, A-ray scanner, Gamejack, and I think nero got involved somewhere. All to no avail.
    The kids have been shouted at, the dog is in hiding and my wife has legged it round to the neighbours to avoid me.
    After all this, I finally cracked it.
    I started from scratch again using Alcohol 120% but this time I set the read speed as low as I could (1x) and the write speed to 4X, and guess what? Yes they all work perfectly.
    No more laughing at advice for me.
    The moral of the story?
    Do as your told by the people that know better.

2. martin16v

martin16v Member

nice story,good advice because you don't gain alot by burning flat out, very often it takes longer as you found out.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

LOL! What a great laff :p

The funny thing is there's a good chance you can get away with the faster burning when doing data and video but doing PC games is a entirely different story as you've found out :)