1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Highest Quality Recordings

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by baki21, Jun 3, 2004.

1. baki21

baki21 Member

I have been using DVD X Copy Platinum - I have an earlier version with CSS decryption and have been happy so far, although at times I do notice some mild degradation in the copied DVD. Is there a big difference in terms of quality of recordings between the different types of rippers which copy DVD-9 to a single disc? I know all rippers have to use some type compression which results in quality loss, but I am not sure if some do it better than others. If so which one is considered to be the best?

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Some say the more you compress, the more you lose quality. I have never noticed. You could try using different software. If you've seen DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter are popular, and they work great and are also both free. What version of Platinum are you using? v4.0.3.8 was the last ripper version and can be found at http://www.filesearching.com search dvdxcopy.

3. baki21

baki21 Member

Thanks for the reply. I am actually using version 3.2.1 of DVD X Copy. I have not had any glitches using this version so I have been apprehensive about updating. Unless someone convinces me there is a improved in the quality of the copied dvd using another app then I think I will stick with DVD X Copy. Copying DVDs using this software is very easy.

4. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Well another member said "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Some can notice differences in quality. Shrink and Decrypter are popular because 1) It's free 2) Easy to use 3) Produces excellent quality. 4) You don' get the annoying "DVD Backup" screen that XCopy gives you.

I first started with XCopy Platinum, and also bought DVD Cloner 2. Now this is my preference.

Tie for 1st) DVD Shrink w/ DVD Decrypter
    1st) DVD43 w/ Nero Recode 2
    2) DVD Shrink w/ Nero
    3) DVD Cloner 2
    4) DVDXCopy Platinum
    5) DVDXRescue (which you know is in Platinum)

It's always nice to know another way to backup. I would at least give Shrink and Decrypter a try, because it is free, and you never know You might notice a difference. Anyhow to each his own :)

5. baki21

baki21 Member

Thanks for your input, I think I may give your top choices a try. Besides, I am also tired of seeing that "DVD backup" notice.

6. brian100

brian100 Guest

If you are looking for top quality backups, I would suggest stripping everything out & leaving just the main movie & 1 soundtrack. Then use Pinnacle (The best transcoder in my opinion) Or DVDrebuilder/CCE basic for re-encoding for optimum quality.

7. baki21

baki21 Member

brian 100 - thanks also for your input. During my search of Pinnacle on this site, I came across the following URL which gives an awesome review and is basically exactly what I was looking for. Intervideo DVD Copy is the clear winner in this detailed review. It supposedly also makes very fast copies. I was wandering if you or anyone else out there has any experience with intervideo DVD Copy.

http://www.dvd.box.sk/articles8.php?stranka=1

Last edited: Jun 4, 2004
  8. brian100

brian100 Guest

baki21

In my opinion the review at dvd.box.sk is totally biased towards Intervideo. if in doubt check for yourself, wait for the samples of the transcoded images to load then compare the "original" with the "Intervideo" images (At maximum 300%). To me they appear IDENTICAL !! Me smells a large rat here.

Intervideo also has a bug, a bloomin great big un aswell. Occasionally the transcoded file exhibitis LARGE ugly..horrible pixellation. It's a random occurence & a right pain in the arse. Avoid Intervideo, for the time being, like the plague!!

9. baki21

baki21 Member

Wow, thanks for the heads up.