1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 0078fk unable to read drive. HELP :(

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by stu2007, Aug 25, 2007.

1. stu2007

stu2007 Member

Ok peeps, im doin not so bad so far. I have the Hitachi 0078FK drive, Im using a PCI sata card with the VIA VT6421A chipset, slax 2.1 and firwaretollbox 4. I have no probs with getting the drive into mode b.
    when i boot to windows the drive shows up fine and is assigned a drive letter (H: in my case), and when i put a retail disk in it opens a folder showing the contents of the original disk(video_ts, etc.. which i close again).
    I open firmware toolbox and select Tools\Direct Drive Dump (GDR Only). I then select RAW Dump Firmware and name the file original but when i hit save i get a message box saying Failure: Cannot Read From Drive. I have tried opening the drive and closing again to make sure the drive is spinning up properly but this makes no drifference.

Any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated and you have my thanks in advance. :)

2. thegrunt

thegrunt Regular member

Try leaving the disk in for a little longer before you click raw dump,hope this helps

3. stu2007

stu2007 Member

Ok gave it a bit longer after spin up but still no joy. I just keep getting the same error message no matter how long i leave it after spin up.

Still no further forward, thanks anyway grunt, any more ideas???:)

4. jhc5050

jhc5050 Member

Got a question for you stu2007. I'm sorry i can't offer any help, but i think you might be able to help me. I have a 78fk and a 6421a sata card as well. My problem is that i can't even get to your problem. I can't even put the drive in mode b, the bios would not detect it. The 6421a scans for devices at the post and finds nothing. Now, i have had success putting the 78fk in mode b using a sil3512 card, but when i swap the 78fk to the 6421a it still won't detect the 78fk. I may be doing something wrong, if it's not too much to ask.. would you mind describing the steps you take to put your 78fk in mode b? For example, changes in your setup at the post. Drivers you are using for your sata card, even little details like the brand of your card might help. Any information as much as your time allows you man. Thx a lot.

5. stu2007

stu2007 Member

ok jhc5050, im using a pluscom card with the VIA VT6421A chipset as you know. I installed the card in my machine and booted to windows and it was picked up instantly and windows loaded default drivers with which it worked fine. I have since updated to the latest version from VIA Arena which is 5.5 to try and resolve my problem but i am still stumped and this made no effect to the drive being picked up as it works fine with both sets of drivers.
    When i boot my machine up i dont even see if its picked up in the post as it goes so fast its gone as soon as its there. It does not show up as a device in the bios either but sure enough when i boot from slax 2.0 or 2.1 disc it finds the drive just fine. During the slax start up you will see it check the sata ports, well i have 4 onboard ports (1-4) and 3 on the pci card(5-7) depending on which port you have it on will determine what port slax finds it on. Mine is found on port 5 as i am using the first port on the card although i have tried all ports to resolve my problem and it is found on all ports.

So basically my answer to that is dont worry about the bios n stuff as it might not show in there as the pci card is not an onboard device. boot from your slax disk and watch it check each sata port. Usually when im puttin the drive in mode b when it gets to the right port it usually says spinning up but you simply need to open the drive and it continues with the loading process. once at the login screen you should have to press open/close button twice to close the drawer and it will automatically pop open again after about 5 seconds. This is how to tell if the drive is in mode b but im guessing you knew that already if you've been over this stuff as much as me in the last 24hrs LOL.

Anyways good luck man, run that disk and fingers crossed :)

6. jhc5050

jhc5050 Member

Thx for the quick response stu2007. I'm sorry to have hijacked your post by the way, but i've been wrestling with this for the past two weeks and you having the same hardware.. could not resist but to jump in and ask. As for my problem, maybe it's the card. I read what you are doing and it's basically what i do. I know i'm doing things right because the sil card does everything just fine for the exception of the dump, it's just the 6421a that's been useless. Your case is kind of weird though. I've done a lot of readings.. a lot... on 78fk and it's the first time i've seen someone who got as far as you did but couldn't complete the flashing. If you have an assigned drive letter and your device manager does not show any error, supposedly the 6421a should flash without a hitch. I've read just about everything out there on 78fk, if there is another post like yours, it's news to me. I can't believe you are stuck at the last step. I'm gonna be doing more searches on my 78fk, i'll drop in and let you know if i find anything related to your problem. Good luck man.

7. stu2007

stu2007 Member

thanks jhc5050, i also find my prediciment strange as i do your, as soon as i put my card in hey presto it worked fine well up till dumping the firmware from the drive as you know. i will be doing a lot more research as well so if i find any answers to your problem i will give you a shout here or via a pm :)

8. stu2007

stu2007 Member

thanks jhc5050, i also find my prediciment strange as i do your, as soon as i put my card in hey presto it worked fine well up till dumping the firmware from the drive as you know. i will be doing a lot more research as well so if i find any answers to your problem i will give you a shout here or via a pm :)
    I was also even considering buying a toshiba-samsung m25 drive to use in the machine instead but that would still be useless without my firmware key. :(

Last edited: Aug 26, 2007
  9. stu2007

stu2007 Member

OK peeps im still stumped on this but not to worry though as the drive is flashed now. I dont know what it was about my pc that didnt quite mix with the flashing process but there was certainly a spanner in the works somewhere.
    I took the same sata card and put it in my kids pc, used the same drivers and slax disc as well as sticking with fw toolboot 4 and it worked without a single hitch.

I dont know what it was about my pc whether it was a hardware incompatability or some kind of software issue but on mine it was impossible but as soon as i done it on the kids pc, hey presto.
    So for all out there with similar problems i suggest simply try using a different pc if you have one available as it may just do the job.

I wish you all well and thanks to all who contributed :)