1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi 79 Flash Intructions

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by 98sohc, Aug 29, 2008.

1. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

Hey guys, i just recently flashed a 79 and ran into a couple problems along the way, all is well and thought i might jot down the steps i took to successfully flash the 79.

Tools Needed
    FW Toolbox 4.8
    79 Unlock tools
    both can be located HERE

1. Boot up PC with slax 2.1(always works best by turning on PC then 360 after PC is powered, when the screen says "spinning up disc", press eject, press eject 3 times to get the drive to stay closed, get into modeB or CK(Connectivity Kit)

2. goto my computer and eject the dvd drives until you find which one is truely the drive letter of 79.

3. Once correct drive is ejected, insert unlock tool(disc with wav file)

4. play wav file until it stops, once stopped, press play again and then pause right after pressing play.

5. Close windows media player(or whatever program you used to play and pause wav file.

6. Eject disc from 360 by using the eject button on the console itself, and leave the disc tray open.

7. copy 79 unlock tool folder to c:\

8. open command prompt(Xp users, start, run, cmd, Vista users, start, go down to search field, type cmd, click to open)

9. if you didn't change folder name of unlock tool, type the following in the command prompt.

a. c:\
    b. cd "type the name of the folder where the 79 unlock files are located"
    c. 79unlock g(NOTE:"g" is going to be the drive letter of the 79 drive")

10. once completed it will say "done!"

11. close command prompt window

12. now insert game or dvd movie into 79 dvd tray and press eject button 3 times to keep the drive closed.

13. open firmware toolbox 4.8

14. Click "tools", "Direct Drive Dump"

15. choose where to save file and save as original.bin, when it is done creating original it will ask you if you want to perform checksum select ok, and then when done it will ask you to open, click yes again.

16. click "tools", smart hack patcher, press ok to the upcoming message, then select where you want to save hacked firmware and press generate. then it will say hack firmware has been created, select yes to open the file.

17. goto tools, direct drive flash, differential flash(PATCH), select dvd drive, then press read and detect differences, once completed, press start flashing, and your all done, enjoy!!!

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. Roamin64

Roamin64 Member

4. donaldo11

donaldo11 Member

A few quick questions, for anyone who might know:

1. Will flashing my Hitachi 79 drive work on a Windows 2000 operating system? I know XP and 2000 are pretty similar, and I am trying to do this on a system that I can't load XP onto.

2. My other issue is that I can't figure out a way in my BIOS to access any other boot function but from CD (I can also do it from the floppy drive as a very last resort, but wouldn't really want to). My question is: Does my computer need to be able to boot directly from a flash/jump drive in order for this to work, or can I flash my drive by simply booting from the CD-ROM drive?

By the way, I am planning on using a SATA PCI adapter to flash my Hitachi 79 drive, if this info makes any difference.

Thanks everyone for any help!

5. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

if you are running windows 2000, i am assuming your motherboard will not even allow you to boot from usb because it is quite out of date. you will need a "VIA 6421 PCI SATA CARD", that is the chipset, everyone is programming for, for best compatibility. for hitachi, you don;t need usb, you just to download slax 2.1 disc, to get into mode b, and then the 79 unlock disc, and it will save and write to your hard disk, need anything else let me know.

6. donaldo11

donaldo11 Member

Hey 98sohc, and thanks for your response.

So, basically if I understanding you correctly you are saying it can be done in Windows 2000, so long as I have the correct PCI card. Do you think this one would suffice?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815124022

It seems to be the one people in general are recommending. I imagine it would work the same way in 2000 as XP, so long as the other programs I need to use would work as well.

What do you think? Would this setup work out?

Thanks again for your responses!

7. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

i think your setup is good so far, i am just not 100% sure if firmware toolbox will work with windows 2000, never tried before. pci card is good, now just get slax 2.1, 79 unlock files, and my tutorial and your all set.

8. aftrdrawn

aftrdrawn Regular member

hello guys i bought xbox 360 go pro 60gb. and i am totally newbie to xbox 360 modification. i want to modify my xbox 360 go pro so that i can play copy games on it and online also. microsoft donot bust me. first of all i want to know if go pro modification is software or hardware. if software can somebody point me to the right thread. i would be really thankful.

9. 98sohc

98sohc Regular member

it is all software, if you have a pro, you most likely have a lite-on, maybe a benq or hitachi 79, find out which drive you have and find the proper tutorial for your drive. you need help, just let me/us know. good luck.

10. MR_yevrah

MR_yevrah Member

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  11. Roamin64

Roamin64 Member

If you have a laptop , then tough luck , as this cable is mostlikely not going to work.

If you use a desktop , i suggest this card :

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4706

cheaper then your cable , works perfect for all 360 drives.

12. MR_yevrah

MR_yevrah Member

Ok, ive now ordered that via sata card, and i have also ordered a connectivity kit : http://www.mrmodchips.co.uk/catalog...d=553&osCsid=292065c6a2166c100ec11d24dc14a37b

im a little hazy on the connections... i understand that the sata cable will go my newly bought card, however i do not understand where the best place for the power cable is to go, do i plug it into the xbox or what?
    the xecuter tutorial site leaves it a bit open and just says to plug it into a molex power supply....what is a molex power supply?

cheers guys

EDIT: in fact after doing a bit more searching i think it can be plugged into the sata card along with the sata cable, am i right?

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  13. landyman1

landyman1 Member

i am having a problem getting the 79 unlock cd to play in windows media player 11, if i put it into my cd drive on my pc it plays straight away but when i put it into the 360 drive it spins up but does not play in windows.
    I opened windows & clicked the play tab & it says no disk in device WTF does that mean it is sat in there spinning .
    any help from you guys would be really helpful.

14. bolrugard

bolrugard Member

Hey for some reason I cant get my drive detected on my computer... got it connected via SATA cable... and its on and pc is running.. installed the port IO32 and i put slax into the xbox.. it just doesnt pick up the drive at all... im confused

15. leerage

leerage Regular member

Use Jungle Flasher to get the drive into Mode-B.

16. bolrugard

bolrugard Member

Does it matter what version? since it is hitachi 79??
    \
    thanks for the fast reply this site is a lot!

17. leerage

leerage Regular member

It doesn't matter that it is a 79. Sending Mode-B through JF will put any Hitachi in Mode-B. Only thing with the 79 is you have to run the unlock CD to dump the firmware.

18. bolrugard

bolrugard Member

for some reason i am having trouble can u get on aim and messsage me sportsmanjosh10?

19. leerage

leerage Regular member

I don't have aim but I am in EFNet's Jungle Flasher & Firmware channel. (#jungleflasher and #fw)

20. bolrugard

bolrugard Member

how do i get on to that?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2009
  21. bolrugard

bolrugard Member

i keep getting a paremeters error