1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hitachi v59 not found in Windows

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by pedge76, May 5, 2007.

1. pedge76

pedge76 Member

OK - it was a piece of poo putting the Hitachi v59 into mode b. However, the drive cannot be found in My Computer or Device Manager. I'm using an onboard SATA (chipset Intel 945 express chipset family) and I'm wondering if this is the problem. I would rather avoid buying a SATA PCI card as I want to flash Hitachi ASAP.
    I'm running WinXP Home and as far as I am aware, all instructions have been followed. I definitely know I am in mode b as I have to press eject twice to open the tray.
    Does this mean that my onboard SATA is not compatible?

2. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

That's what it means. Get a SIL3112a chipset.

3. pedge76

pedge76 Member

I don't know much about chipsets, but can the chipset you suggest be downloaded?
    If not then I presume I have to purchase an SATA PCI card with this chipset.
    One final thought on this problem - My PC does not have a restart button. I therefore press CTRL/ALT/DEL to restart it once Slax2 has finished. Is this method OK as my only other alternative is to switch the PC off and then back on using the power button.

4. PS2Menace

PS2Menace Regular member

I'd actually get this card. I have this one myself and it's never failed me on any Hitachi drive that it supports (all but 78/79)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ADAPTEC-ASH-120...ryZ39968QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I'm not sure about the requirements of wether or not you MUST have a restart button on the PC because mine does, so I use it but I'd assume you can just power off/on real fast or use CTRL/ALT/DEL. As long as you see the modeB - thanks to kev part then the drive is in modeB and it shouldn't really matter if you wait or not. I'd also use the driver for the ASH-1205 that comes with the card and not the updated driver as I have heard of people saying it won't detect the Hitachi after they updated the driver.

5. pedge76

pedge76 Member

Many thanks PS2menace - not sure where you are located, but I am from the UK and decided to pop down to one of the regular Computer Fairs that take place locally. As it was only a few pound I bought a SATA PCI card with VIA VT6421 chipset.
    I was well chuffed when I saw the Hitachi drive in 'My Computer'. I'm know happily playing my backups after a successful firware change.