1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HL-DT-ST -- What media?

Discussion in 'Video problems with Mac' started by ajaxsg, Jan 28, 2005.

1. ajaxsg

ajaxsg Member

I've got a Superdrive that comes up with this designation:

HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4082B

I was wondering if anyone here has the same drive and, if so, what kind of media they have had successes or failures using. Thanks a lot!

2. jwagnppp

jwagnppp Guest

I have been using DVD+R and DVD-R (TDK) with no problems
    but when I try Verbatum DVD+RW a few work at 2x but many get errors. What have you used?
    Jim

3. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

I have HL-DT-ST DVD ROM GDR8163B (LG made) and it will not recognize Verbatim 8X DVD-R at all. Nothing wrong with the media as easily recognized by burner. The HL-DT-ST DVD ROM GDR8163B will read TDK 4X DVD-R and Ritek GO4 DVD-R.

4. BTFSB

BTFSB Member

You need a firmaware update. Try going to liteon's web site and looking for your model.

5. malcdogg

malcdogg Regular member

I have a HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GWA-4040b. No firmware updates for me. If i had a GSA 4040b i'd be good but i dont. Anyway if there's a firmware update for your drive you can most likely find it on your drive manufacturer's website or here http://forum.rpc1.org/portal.php . Good luck.

6. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

BTFSB:
    That DVD ROM (HL-DT-ST DVD ROM GDR8163B)is NOT a Liteon, but rather a LG (as the post before yours indicates) manufactured device for various OEM computers. LG firmwares are for there own branded drives and they warn against using firmwares on their website for these drives made for other companies. Unless Sony or whatever computer vendor posts an upgrade, the choices come down to unproven 3rd party firmwares or accept the current shortcomings of the drive.

7. BTFSB

BTFSB Member

You were absolutely right, my mistake. I guess that happens after you spend a year in federal prison without committing a crime and have the FBI steal software of your design from you for their own use. Sorry I must have slipped into a flashback of when I was sleeping on a wet floor in solitary confinement for three months without running hot water. You think I'm kidding don't you? Actually this all happened to me.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005