1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Holy Crap Hex Editing

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by powerwhee, Feb 17, 2007.

1. powerwhee

powerwhee Member

Hi everyone, well I am hex editing right now, and it is surprisingly easy, I changed some icons, but how the HELL do you add that little 0 like thing, or how do you add a dam space, for example, I want to change PHOTO to PICZ, but I then have that O left over, so how do I make it go away, I tried just deleting it but that didn't work, so I tried adding a space in it's place but that didn't work either. So I'm assuming I have to replace it with that zero like thing, but how do I do that. Or, how do I go about making PHOTO into PICZ, am I on the right path. I did it all, but I ended up with, all the icon names mashed toghther, for example, where Phto was, it is now PHOTOZMUSIC, where VIDEO was, it is now VIDEOZGAMEZ, how do I make a space, so it doesn't turn out like that? I tried just pressing spacebar, but that didn't work, and it led to a freeze, and I then had to go back to my backed up top menu? Any help, I really need it. After all this, I'll show you guys my XMB-lol.

2. tehjoker

tehjoker Regular member

when you hex edit, you cant add more the letters or numbers (example: .G.a.m.e. cannot be changed to .G.a.m.i.n.g. or else it the xmb WILL crash). Yes, you do need to add 00 in place of the extra space so you highlight it and where all the numbers are, you add 00 to the extra space and that letter wont show.

3. powerwhee

powerwhee Member

Come on guyz, please help, it is probably a real easy problem for you guys to fix, come one.

4. tehjoker

tehjoker Regular member

Damn, you cant even wait 6 mins after you posted..

5. hodgins91

hodgins91 Regular member

download this and it will do it for you without hex editing

6. powerwhee

powerwhee Member

ha, i know ive been trying to get this to work for the past 2 hours, and i just cant. I've become adept at taking the battery out and putting it back in- i can do it in 10 seconds flat.

Any way, I tryed that program but for some reason it doesn't change all the icons, and yes I put the topmenu in the Root and everything. I just want to do it hex editing.

So, at tehjoker, how do I put the 00 in it's place? What button do i press to do that? I have P.H.O.T.O and i changed it to P.I.C.Z.O, how do i get rid of the O? By the way, I am using the Hex Editor XVI32.

7. tehjoker

tehjoker Regular member

Er..XVI32 is confusing, you should use Hex Workshop or Cygnus, when you get one of those tell me since (i have cygnus incase your wondering) those are easier to use.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  8. powerwhee

powerwhee Member

Okay, I got cygnus, whent down to 4870, and i see all the things, games, music, everything. Now what?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2007
  9. tehjoker

tehjoker Regular member

Ok, open up your topmenu_plugin.rco and,
    1. Go to where it says .P.H.O.T.O.
    2. Change it to .P.I.C.Z. and the O. should still be there
    3. Highlight the O and you see on the left side that 6F is grey, highlight 6F and type 00
    3. Save it and it you should see PICZ instead of Photo

10. powerwhee

powerwhee Member

Yes, okay, but now, how do you put a space in between them, because on my XMB they show up as, PHOTOZMUSIC, they are toghther, on the Picture Icon. And then on Music, it is fine, and then on videos it is VIDEOZGAMEZ, then GAME is fine, and NETWORK is fine. Why is it doing this?

11. touran22

touran22 Regular member

No way! XVI32 is cool. but i use winhex!

12. powerwhee

powerwhee Member

OMG this is so dam infuriating, it is not working at all.

13. powerwhee

powerwhee Member

Well, I just gave up, but it seems that now I can't even HEX the thing that I hexed in the very beginning.

14. hexitnow

hexitnow Active member

it can be somewhat tricky to learn, but once u learn the basis it's like editing something in wordpad.

15. stevenps2

stevenps2 Regular member

yep it took me something like a day or so to get to grasps with hex editing,and i still dont know what all the options do,just stick at it,it'll be worth it to know that YOU hacked your psp

16. powerwhee

powerwhee Member

Yeah, I know what your talking about, the time I hacked my psp, and put instead of Network Update, Self Destruct, I was exstatic. But now it seems I can't even do that. I am so frustrated, but atleast I got the basic concept.

17. hodgins91

hodgins91 Regular member

that makes it 9999999 times easier, you just type in what u want and its done

18. powerwhee

powerwhee Member

Well, I finally did it, and it feels so good to know I hacked my PSP all by myself.

19. tehjoker

tehjoker Regular member

sorry i didnt help you out, i left yesterday for a party and did come back till 10pm. what exactly did you use to hex your xmb?

20. powerwhee

powerwhee Member

I used XVI32, tryed cygnus, but it was actually more complicated for me then XVI32, so I switch to XVI32, and I got it. It is now pretty easy for me, because I finally got the hang of it.