1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

home made dvds

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by rtrg, Aug 15, 2011.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I have a stand alone dvd recorder combo unit. It uses dvd MINUS discs only. Both R/RW. It allows me to finalize or not finalize. If I finalize my dvd players will detecr it. My computer will not whether it is finalized or not. I opened my device manager and both the CD and DVD are listed, but the dvd does NOT say what format it is, region, or any other useful info. Can you tell me why this is? I made a tape copy to dvd for a friend but as I told her I have no idea if it is playable on her TV combo or her laptop. Is it possible that the computer drive plays PLUS dvds but NOT MINUS DVDs? Is it possible that my secondary computer plays BOTH PLUS and MINUS? As I said this info is not displayed. Of course I do not have any printed documentation. Solutions? replace drive? With what? I would like both towers to play these dvds.

2. attar

attar Senior member

To play on the PC, the DVD-R has to be finalized (if it's not finalized the PC will not detect it).
    A burned DVD does not have any Region code, so that's not the problem.

To find out your PC Burner's capabilities, run ImgBurn.
    Select, 'Write files/folders to disc' > 'Tools' > 'Drive' > 'Capabilities'.
    It will list what it can read (DVD-R et al) in the left column.

[​IMG]

You can check whether your PC burner has a problem by inserting a blank DVD-R and running ImgBurn.
    The burner will detect the disk.
    Click 'Write files/folders to disc' then click the 'Device' tab.
    It should show information about the disk.

[​IMG]

This is a burned disk.Note that it says that it is not empty and there is some information about the running time of the video.
    [​IMG]