1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home made Self made tv video projector

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by 32Degreez, Dec 17, 2003.

1. 32Degreez

32Degreez Member

I really want to know if anybody has successfully made a tv/video projector to watch whatever on a wall or screen.
    If you have please let me/us know how you did it.

If this thread closes then send me a pm if you know how

2. damo_red

damo_red Member

hi im also very interrested in making the projector ive seen many sites that show cheap ways of doing it but im no 100% sure how to doi it. can any one help. also im not that convinced it works that well but i could be wrong.

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

There are a Few Places on E-Bay that sell the Lenzes and the Plans on how to Make a Big screen Projector From like a Small 13in TV Set..You can get the Lenzes and Plans for about $10...

4. damo_red

damo_red Member

Minion hi yes i have seen the lenzes and plans on ebay i was intersted if any one has actually made one. im not to sure how good the quility of the picture will be. if the quilitys not that good i would use it for the xbox rarther then dvds. imagine playing halo nd master chief being larger then you that would be great.

5. Minion

Minion Senior member

There are a Couple different Poeple selling the Lenzes and the Plans But one Guy sells the Better Package which includes 2 Lenzes which is supposed to make a Much Brighter Image...so if you are looking for this Kit look for the one with 2 lenzes...Cheers

6. DocFalo

DocFalo Member

I planned a projecting system based on a electrode-tube screen and two convex lenses, considering that only one lens would rotate the image in 180º, so two lenses would solve the problem.

Unfortunately, I realized that the image we see on the screen is actually projected as a mirror image by the electrode tube, therefore the projected iamge on the wall was horizontally flipped.

Another flaw of the system is that the screen is a very weak source of light, so you need to avoid any light in the room, including the light from the screen of course, so I had to build a black box for the screen. Its dimensions depend of the focal distance of the lens that is closer to the screen, and it must be hard enough to resist the weight of the lens system (you don't want to see the movies while you hold the lenses, do you?).

There are some basic rules about convex lenses regarding its focal point (it can be determined experimentally) and the light particles trajectory when they go through the lens. It's easy, you should check some optics book.

To solve the mirror image problem you have many solutions:

1) If you have a room big enough, you can project the image on a semi-transparent curtain and sit behind the curtain (so that the curtain is placed between the projector and you).

2) Someone told me to use a single-axis concave lens, but I can't figure how to use it...

3) Consider the fact that the more lenses you use, the more light you lose. If you want to project a PC screen image the best system should be junt one standard convex lens and a program that could rotate the screen output in 180º and mirror-flip it at the same time. Since I'm not a programmer I'm looking for such a program (or couple of programs working at the same time to obtain the same effects) to finally make my projector work.

So if any of you can build such a program please contact me.

7. nRgIZER99

nRgIZER99 Member

Hey Doc - I solved the 180 degree, upside down prob a few years ago- just reverse the horizontal polarity & vertical polarity by cutting & re-joining the wires to the yoke on the CRT. If U feel nervous about it, get a tech 2 do it & instal a switch on the back of the set-that way, U just flip the switch & presto! Right way up & the credits R readable!:))

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

also if you use 2 Lenzes it gets rid of the Upside down reverced image, or if you Put the TV Upside down...