1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

home network between windows xp and 2000

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by hodab, Aug 28, 2004.

1. hodab

hodab Guest

I've tried to connect my two computers by home network. One runs windows xp and the other runs 2000. Previously I had in both of them windows 2000, and I had no problem with the network. but now they can't see each other anymore. I don't what's wrong. Could any one tell me step by step what to do with both of them to be configured correctly? I need it greatly.

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

I would run both pc's through the network wizard again.

Then of course you need to enable file sharing. And are you using any firewalls? XP has a built in firewall, which needs to be disabled. Open Control panel -> network connections -> right click the network connection -> then properties -> click advanced tab ... uncheck the box.

If your using another firewall (ie. Norton Firewall), you'll need to enter each other's pc in as a trusted IP address.

3. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hi guys, One thing I always forget to do when I add or redo a pc on my network is in the same area as the XP firewall activation. In the network properties below the Firewall checkbox is another box that needs to be checked. It says to check here if you want to share connections between computers. I always forget to check that and nothing works until I remember about it. Not sure if thats part of your problem or not.

Jerry

4. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

Hi

It has got to be said that one of the better things that XP has brought to us is Networking - However it is a big subject and lots of things can stop it working.

The obvious places to start are firewalls, cables, etc then the networking tool.

After that I would suggest you set the IP Addresses as static.

Are you using Internet Connection Sharing ?

Internal Networks generally use an IP Address:
    192.168.0.x The IP Sharing PC is normally 192.168.0.1

The number 192.168.0.x is a special number to keep the outside world from seeing the internal network.

I guess you know how to set the IP Addresses - if not shout and I'll tell you.

Having got a static IP Address you then need to ensure that the other PC is on the network - this is an easy command in a DOS Window.
    Under Programs Accessories open Command Prompt.

Type "CD\" so that you now only see the command prompt.

Type "Ping 192.168.0.x" If you get no response then you have a network hardware problem.

To check the IP Address of the machine your on - in XP just open the network card properties in Start Settings Network Connections and look at support - In Win2K type in the DOS box

"C:\ipconfig/all"

If the Ping comes back OK open windows explorer or my computer and in the address bar where it says my documents type "\\computername" where computer name is the other PC - yiu should be able to see the drives assuming you have shared them out.

Enough to get started with - let me know how you get on

Phil